A Politically Incorrect Tee Shirt...

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by dvl, Mar 23, 2005.

1. dvl

dvl New Member

...is in the works. This is a leaflet dropped in China a few years back.

[​IMG]
  2. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

A few years back, eh? I'll say! That flag's only got 48 stars!

So was this a leaflet from WWII? Do you know what the writing says? I'm curious.
  3. dvl

dvl New Member

Yup, WWII. To quote my brother; The large characters are a New Year's message amounting to something along the lines of "Congratulations and Good Fortune [for the New Year]."

I sent him an enlarged copy so he can translate the text on the bottom. I do know from my Dad, a CBI vet, that the message asks for help for downed flyers.

Again from my brother:

"Something that I find especially interesting about this image is the appropriation of Buddhist imagery for propaganda purposes. The stomping American subduing the writhing Japanese officer is in the same pose as dharmapala protector dieties trampling over demons that one finds at the entrance of Buddhist temples and elsewhere."
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  4. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

It's interesting, that's for sure. The figure that is supposed to be an American is wearing Chinese style clothing, wearing an aviator's flight helmet, but carrying a Thompson SMG. I'll bet a lot of the downed aviators WISHED they had been issued Thompsons.
  5. dvl

dvl New Member

I like the way his goggles are rumpled like his cloth helmet! And he's wearing a dress shirt and tie. And his chute pack looks unopened.

Interesting patch on his right shoulder. The star with the red circle is from the Chinese Air Force, the white bit is reminiscent of a tiger, so it could be an impressionist's version of the Flying Tiger patch.

I've met a lot of airman from the CBI. Dad and I went to a government sponsored reunion in China, May of 2000.

www.cbiflyer.org
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  6. dvl

dvl New Member

Here is my brother's translation of the Chinese characters on this "blood chit":

THIS AMERICAN AIRMAN HAS BEEN DRIVING THE JAPANESE OUT OF CHINA’S SKIES

HELP HIM

The old gate spirit has been fast asleep. Fear of the Jap demons has been creeping into countless Chinese homes but the old gate spirit has not helped. This new young warrior, this American fighter pilot has rendered brave assistance to Chinese Army units on the ground. His spirit (?) can protect the peace for all of you, young and old alike (?) but he and his Chinese comrades still need your help. If they are wounded, lost, or hungry, they certainly need your comfort and friendship.

Help them! They are fighting for you!

Chinese Allies in the Occupied Territories

WARNING: Do not place this gate spirit in a place where others can see it. If the Japanese see it they can brutally arrest (?) you.
  7. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Chenault's Flying Tigers comes to mind!
  8. dvl

dvl New Member

The flying tiger was the symbol of the 14th Air Force. When we visited Chennault's house near 14th headquarters in Kunming, a Chinese man explained to us the significance of the name, one which was apparently bestowed by the Chinese. They considered the tiger to be the wisest, fiercest fighter, the one worthy of utmost respect. Add to that the ability to fly and you have the most formidible opponent imaginable. That was how they saw the Americans, and when they look back to those times, that respect is still evident in their hearts. It was a curious contradiction to be there in Communist China with folks who remembered the "Anti-Japanese" war and to see the high regard they had for the returning vets.

[​IMG]

My Dad is the bearded man on the right. The man in the blue mao suit remembered the war. This picture was taken across the alley from Chennault's cottage.

I should find a better place to post this stuff... wrong thread!
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  9. dcd_enterprises

dcd_enterprises New Member

Given the Economic fight we're in with China now, and the undercurrent of another Cold War, it's sad how short peoples memories are. God Bless General Claire Lee Chennault. China owes you a debt of gratitude.