1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

A possible mess up...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Horsky1911, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Horsky1911

Horsky1911 New Member

Good morning all. I was loading up some 7mm-08 last night and checked OAL and was .100 shy of spec in the manual. I am within the minimum length which according to my manual is 2.540 and the rounds manufactured last night are at 2.650 and max length is 2.800. Are these okay or am I pulling bullets?
  2. cory136

cory136 New Member

your rounds will be ok as long as yhey will chamber in your gun. They may not shoot the same how ever if you do not usually load at this length
  3. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Good morning Horsky1911, I think you are fine. Try shooting a group, as the only thing being a bit short might have an effect on is your accuracy, but I doubt it. Some rifles like to have the bullet close to the rifling for best accuracy. As the throat of the rifle wears, it is more important to get the bullet out near or even slightly over length to bet best accuracy. So unless your rifle has several thousand rounds threw it, this will not be a problem.

Regards, Kirk
  4. Horsky1911

Horsky1911 New Member

Thanks guys. This was my first batch of rifle and completely set up by myself. I reloaded with a friend before at his place and I finally got a new place that allowed for me to have a man cave. All went well during the process except that I was that .100 off when seating. The load I worked up is 139 gr. Horn SP backed with 39 gr. of IMR 4064 in winchester cases and cci 200 LR primers.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

man cave, i like that. Your loads should be fine, they are on the light side by my manuals so the OAL issue should only effect accuracy. happy shooting, and enjoy your man cave. ha ha;)
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I would add my vote of confidence in the rounds being ok also. Not to be a pain in the butt, but as I read your post, I found myself asking.....

1 -- How many rounds did you load?

2 -- When did you discover the OAL issue?

3 -- Are you loading single stage or progressive? I'm thinking SS, but just wanted to be sure.

Just an example of what I find helpful for me :

1 - make a "dummy" round for setup. if i am loading progressive, I have several cases that i have set aside just for setup; this way the constant belling and rigors of setup adjustments don't lead to overworked brass ending up in my guns.

2 - measure, weight and inspect closely the first 10 rounds and then every 10th round after that make a verification.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

good advice woolley;)
  8. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

May I humbly add: you didn't say how many rds you loaded, but after shooting a few rds, if you find your rifle not liking the shorter OAL [grouping outside the norm], don't waste the remainder. Go home & "adjust" them (if you have a kinetic puller). Shouldn't be too hard to adjust the OAL w/o completely disassembling ea rd.

JMHO

SR :)
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

good advice SR, I too have adjusted the OAL when i accidentally set it too short. just set the cartridge in a kinetic hammer and whack it on the table real hard. take it out and measure the OAL until its where you need it or a tad longer. then just bring it down in the seating die and crimp again.
  10. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

From Western Powders.

SPECIAL NOTE ON CARTRIDGE OVERALL LENGTH “COL”
    It is important to note that the SAAMI “COL” values are for the firearms and ammunition manufacturers industry and must
    be seen as a guideline only.
    The individual reloader is free to adjust this dimension to suit their particular firearm-component-weapon combination.
    This parameter is determined by various dimensions such as 1) magazine length (space), 2) freebore-lead dimensions of
    the barrel, 3) ogive or profile of the projectile and 4) position of cannelure or crimp groove.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Good info steve, but I must add that messing with the OAL will have an effect on the pressures by creating more or less case volume, depending on which way you go, with a specific powder charge. OAL should be predetermined and the load should then be developed form a safe starting point. If you develop a load near max in your rifle and then decide the bullet needs to be .020" deeper in the case and you dont adjust the powder charge you could create a potentially dangerous load, if you decide it needs to be .020" further out then you might lighten the load somewhat provided the bullet doesnt contact the lands creating a pinch point which could then cause a pressure spike... my point is, do your figuring before you load, and if you change anything at all, start all over...
  12. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

13. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

How'd they shoot?
  14. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Ahh...That's a good one for me to remember....Thanks, I knew I came here for a reason... :)
  15. Horsky1911

Horsky1911 New Member

Well to reply to all the above questions and probably out of order.... I found that my calipers where set wrong by me but within spec. I only loaded 20 rounds. And the kicker is that with the added .100 free bore the groups were shooting roughly 3/4" at 100 yards. I did have a couple fliers but that was shooter error. I also shot 10 rounds of factory Rem 140 gr Corelokts before trying these reloads ans was getting groups that were way bigger (1 1/2- 1 3/4) but I believe that that was also shooter error. The reloads showed no signs of excess pressure and kicked a heck of a lot softer. I have chosen to use this load as my hunting load for the rifle season that opens in a couple weeks. Thanks for all the replies as always this forum has a ton of knowledge and made my stupidity seem a little less stupid.