A possible useful addition to home defense

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by armoredman, Sep 27, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

one thing you can do to give yourself a few seconds of prep time is make them take longer to breech your bedroom door.

we instaleld an exterior solid core door as our bedroom door.. complete with deadbolt and kick 'resistant' jamb. it's not one of those wimpy hollow doors tht a shoulder or foot will blow off the hinges. if someone wants in.. they will have to really get a good running shoulder bump a few times. of course a breecher tool or sledge hammer will pop it.. but hopefully a dog will have woke me up in time to reach over and grab the thugstopper (R) beside my bed.. :) :)
  2. Country101

Country101 Active Member

On the flashlight issue, you need one that puts enough light in a big enough area as well. While anything is better than nothing, most lights dont do good enough for me. Granted, I dont have a light like I am talking about yet..... To really blind somebody or disorient them with a lower powered light, you have to get it aimed at thier eyes before they can react. Most flashlights are so narrowly focused that if it is not directly in thier eyes, it doesnt do a good enough job for me. While you may need to id your target, they may not care who thier target is or if they kill, so all they have to do is point and shoot. They dont have to conform to the same rules that we do. They are criminals. It's spray some lead and deal with the consequences later.

I have a small $20 light that puts out 140 lumens and runs on 3 AAA batteries that I use at the moment. I have one in my truck, nightstand, and hunting bag. For what it is, it is great, but it's not what I want. Plus, it's a little too small. It's only about 3.5 inches long. Another inch would be good. (no comments from the peanut gallery.......) It would be handy with a crenallated bezel too. I've always wanted one of those. They are good for strikes as well as being able to set them down and have a little area light if you need it.

Soundguy, so you bolt your bedroom door every night?
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Same here dogs in the yard, dogs in the house. Behind me (south) there is, I don't know how many acres, but it's a mile to the nearest house. Used to be woods, now it's a cut over. No body will be coming thru there! To the west of me it's a mile to the school, and no one between me, and the school.
  4. soundguy

you better believe it. it's wasted money and reduced safety if I don't.

the last one of us in.. me or the wife.. we lock the usless lil knob spinner than throw the deadbolt. sure..the door CAN be breached.. but it will make noise and take just a hair more time.. betweenthat and the furry burglar alarms.. we can hove our thugstoppers drawn and ready to act upon the entryway being breached. if it sound slike the door is gonna give immediatly.. i plan on going for the 38 thugstopper. If I have 1 extra second I'll reach up instead for the pumpaction thugdissipator.
  5. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

It's always good to have another tool
  6. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

sorry about that should have been MILLIONS of beople but was thinking about BILLIONS of tax dollars lost. :eek:
  7. armoredman

armoredman New Member

Sorry Greahaven, this one?
    The manufacturer said the design of the carrier itself mitigates splash, as the bullets that hit steel tend to disintegrate. It has been suggested with some validity that a separate spall "carrier" for the plate itself, made of a few layers of Kevlar, would be a good idea, and I don't think that's a bad idea at all.
    I do have to say the option of receiving some spall injuries as opposed to getting shot in the chest makes me lean towards the former for now.
  8. soundguy

an off angle shot might send more than spall towards a face or extremity.. both could be lethal... having a balistic fabric carrier would IMHO be very prudent.
  9. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Yes, that's the one. Does the AR500 company offer such an animal?

Otherwise, to get level III or IV protection with rifle plates (ceramic), it's in the $1400 range. :eek::eek::eek: (from another company).
  10. FreeWill

FreeWill Former Guest

Well well it comes to flashlights I got an Eagle Tac that puts out 750 lumens; even with a Diffuser Filter I still get the blinding effect.