A proposterous vote!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pistolenschutze, Nov 5, 2007.

1. That the issue of displaying the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and the Nation's motto should even need to come to a vote is not only outrageous, it shows all-too-clearly the dismal state of education in this country.

FOX NEWS

California School District to Vote Whether 'In God We Trust' Belongs In Classroom

Monday, November 05, 2007

Trustees of a school district in Bakersfield, Calif., will decide Monday night whether to allow posters bearing the nation's motto — In God We Trust — and other historical documents to be displayed in district classrooms.

Among the documents to be voted on are the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Kern County High School District trustees initially proposed the measure as a way of promoting patriotism. But the proposal has sparked contentious debate.

Board President Bob Hampton, a former teacher in the district, told the L.A. Times that he'll vote against the posters because they reflect a "spiritual agenda."

"The spiritual side of students belongs at home and at church, not in the educational system," Hampton said.

Other Bakersfield residents said there's nothing wrong with posting the nation's motto on classroom walls — even if it does mention God.

"Most kids in Bakersfield already have that seed planted, but for the others, it couldn't hurt," Malia Casarez told the Times. "My daughter is just 9 months old and I'm already scared of sending her to school, with all the things you hear about."

The measure was first proposed by the non-profit group In God We Trust — America Inc., whose president is Jacquie Sullivan, a Bakersfield councilwoman.

"We are encouraging patriotism," Sullivan told the Bakersfield Californian. "Patriotism to me is love of God."

Sullivan then suggested the proposal to Kern High School District trustee Chad Vegas, and offered to provide funding for the project.

Trustees will vote on one or two "In God We Trust" proposals, but approval of either appears unlikely.

Trustee Bryan Batey said he could support displaying the posters in some classrooms, but not all. Two other members on the five-person board have said they do not support the proposal, the Californian reported.

If this proposal does not pass, the board will vote on Vegas' original proposal to hang only the "In God We Trust" posters.

The vote is scheduled for 10 p.m. EST.
  2. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

I gotta agree PS !! Anytme the display of these foundation stones of our nation are "a matter of debate", its time to circle the wagons !! Its been increasingly apparent, the idiotic ills of the graduates of my generation, now having attained exalted powers, are being foisted upon succeeding ones. The popular mantra of 'love/peace/brotherhood' of the Sixties was but a thinly disguised idiom of communism participants were too lazy/stoned/stupid to perceive. >MW
  3. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

4. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

I read an article that said that 86% of Americans believe in God, so isn't it time to tell the other 14% to sit down and shut up. I'm tired of their crap. If they don't want to believe in God that's up to them, but don't even try to tell me how to think. I think it's about time the Supreme Court removed their senile heads from their senile butts and remember who they're SUPPOSED to be representing, Americans, not some illegal who doesn't have any rights here as far as I'm concerned. Between my son and I we have 44 years in the military and I had twenty years with the Dept of Defense and I'm getting sick of the way things are going in this country.
  5. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

You have to remember all the Brain Damaged Bakersfieldites have been breathing fumes from the cattle ranches & oil fields for quite a few Generations. :(
  6. noslolo

noslolo New Member

My, my, something seems so wrong here!
  7. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

No, I don't think so. It's always been my understanding that the Bill of Rights were written to protect the minority from the majority.
  8. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

The legal minority, not the illegal aliens!
  9. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

No comment since I don't want to be in the hospital rather than on our trip to New England this week. Things such as this get my cardiovascular system in MI mode and I really would like to live a little longer..... :( :( :mad: :mad: :mad:

I will say that I agree with Pistol all the way.
  10. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

Well Pistol, Connie says thanks for getting me on my soap box early this morning :eek:. When she got up I had already read this post and she said its either Crp or Pistol, which one. When I told her she just smiled :). Have to agree with you 100% on this one. I also notice that in Oklahoma the Catholic churches are siding with the illegals and saying they (the church) can't turn their back on the needy. Well if the church no matter what denomination it is, wants to feed,cloth and provide medical for the illegals its up to them. However I would support a constitutional amendment providing that if your here illegally and have a child here it does not automatically become a citizen. Matter of a fact why don't we have a poll on that issue? Do you even reacon our founding fathers ever considered jets across the world in just hours not months on ships of wood? catfish
  11. Tell Connie I said, "Glad to oblige," Cat! ;) I must admit, the article riled me no end as well. Public education in this country has become an instrument of the far left and that does not bode well for our next generation of leaders and the continuance of American democracy.
  12. whiteclouder

whiteclouder Member

The school board voted 4 to 1 to 'direct' the display of these things in the schools. Common sense prevailed.

Clouder..