A public service message for smokers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by satellite66, Sep 9, 2006.

1. satellite66

satellite66 New Member

A mural on the ceiling of the smoking lounge. :(

[​IMG]
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Really gets the point across, doesn't it?
  3. ironsight65

ironsight65 New Member

That's great.:D Thanks for posting it.
  4. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Thats bad, but it makes me think.

I wonder just how much use that room gets? LOL I'll bet its not much.
  5. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Thats too cool.

Crpdeth
  6. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Now that is my kind of a room:D :D :D yep still smoking
    Ron
  7. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

Haven't smoked a cigarette in 20 years, still trying to quit. Would love one right now, but I will not do it. My kids mean more to me than that. I will try to be here for them.
  8. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I smoke to much but I garuntee you won't see me with a gun in my hand without a cig in my mouth and a smile on my face
  9. stash247

stash247 New Member

Southernshooter, and all: I smoke, and seldom does a day go by, that I do not hear criticism about the addiction, from my favorite grandson. He, at 8 years of age, has more sense than I; he does not smoke. We all know the ultimate price of our addiction; we die, and too soon.
    I have decided to stop the habit, one way or another, on or before the 'Smokeout', on November 11.
    I 'm gonna tell you, it will not be easy, as I have, with an 11 year hiatus, smoked since 13; I'm now 56. But, as most of you already know, I spend lot of time, and money, on that little guy, because I love him!
    So I'm publishing public notice, that on, or before, the Nov11 smokeout, I will have quit.
    I've got a bunch of rifles to build, for the kids, and grand kids, rifles that they can get nowhere else, because they want, or think they want, things not commercially available, because of what they are, or how they are built.

Try to buy a .17 Mach II Winchester Low Wall, or a Stevens 441/2, in .22 LR, with a Mannlicher stock, that is guaranteed to shoot 1/2 " or smaler groups, at 100 yds, and you will appreciate my "to do" list, more reaistically.
    Just the same, I cannot do the work from a Hospital bed, so, must guard my health until, at least, my present orders are filled.
    I have declined all future comercial work, until these obligations are met, and still feel the pressure of time, and health, out of age, I suppose.
    But the image you supplied leaves little doubt as to the ultimate outcome, so I must do what I can to alter the timing, so as to complete my "to do" list, first!
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2006
  10. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Good for you, Terry! It will be tough, but you can do it! We're here for moral support, and of course, you have the greatest incentive of all... that little 8 year old! :)
  11. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

YOU CAN DO IT!
    If I can do it, anyone can.
  12. An excellent plan, Stash, but are you sure it is wise to be around firearms while you're trying to quit? At least try to stay away from any bell towers during that period! :D :p ;)
  13. rosierita

rosierita New Member

stash ~ maybe you should try smoke away. i know a lady that quit a 30 yr habit (& 2 packs a day) w/ it. she swears by it. good luck w/ quitting!! your family is worth it!!

link to smoke away.
  14. stash247

stash247 New Member

SoMo, please don't support my morals; I need all the opportunities I can find, or create! I'm not 18 any more!
    Seriously, this is a long time decision, and needed to be done, years ago; the death of yet another friend, to cancer, then the symbolic ceiling mural, pretty well 'closed the door', on retreat from the issue.
    My third Grandson, Giovanni, had a 'Grandparent's Day', at his school, on friday, and I felt like the youngest adult there, as I rode in on a motorcycle, weighing the same as I did my second year in High School; as the time progressed, however, it became evident to me that I was also the only smoker, at the event.
    Pistol, don't sweat the small stuff: I still have a Ghillie suit, and several 'surgical' rifles, so, don't need no stinking bell towers! Been walked on, and over, many times, even when I wanted badly a 'hit' of nicotine, without going totally berserk. Always got what I came for, sometimes with minor collateral damage (You won't step on my hand, again!), but did my work with professional precision, and little regret.
    As I recall, of the sniper in the Carillion Tower, at UT Austin, two of the three weapons he took to the tower were black powder guns, not even weapons, per se, under federal law. Just a small POI, but a big difference, in style!
    Rosarita, and all the rest of you, pistol and Somo, as well, this is a 'solo' endeavor, and though I truly value the comraderie, and support, a thing I gotta do, one day at a time, on my own; I appreciate your support, and acceptance, but humbly suggest that, since my decision is already made, your energies might be better spent on one who is still on the 'edge' of a decision, to do the same!
    With all sincerity, I thank you for your supportive posts. This time, is the last time; I have entirely too many projects in the shop to die, any time soon!
  15. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Straight up, do not use anything that contains nicotine----ANYTHING!!!!
    After 35 years of smoking I quit the middle of April this year. Cold turkey and hard headed. I had made the choice to do so some time back, just flat got tired of smoking. The biggest problem was not the addiction as they call it, it was the day.

Coffee-cig
    Bathroom-cig
    Car work-cig
    Woodwork-cig and on and on and ON.

Your life is built around cigs, nothing begins or ends without a cig. That is the habit(addiction?)
    Other people smoking does not bother me, I am not a smoking NAZI now that I have quit.

You must be clean for 72 hours before you can even begin to quit.

All the nicotine in gone from your system in 72 hours, so this is the begining. If you smoke or use any nicotine product, you start over.

Once those first 72 hours are up, with your system being clean-----the habit takes over......NOT THE ADDICTION!!!

Seen those "I smoked for blah-blah years and was a blah-blah pack a day smoker??"

Another way to remove money from your pocket and nothing more OR TO RE-ADDICT YOU TO THEY`RE PRODUCT!!

When I say it, it can be done----it can be. 35 years of two or more packs a day----I`m done and will never look back. Do I miss it?? Sometimes, but mostly I think of all the money given to someone else and what I could have done with that amount invested over the same amount of years.

THAT PISSES ME OFF ENOUGH TO STAY QUIT!!!!

Good luck two four seven, it`s really not as hard as some would lead you to think. You just have to do it.

LTS
  16. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Over 13 years ago, I quit smoking. I have never regretted the decision.

My reasons were similar: my fiance' of the time asked me if I wanted kids. I said "Yes!" She said "Quit smoking." Now, the two of us will celebrate our 13th anniversary on 25 September with our four children. It's been worth it.
  17. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Stash

Congrats Bro, I quit several years ago myself and I know how tough it is, my twin smokes way too much and we are together 5-6 days a week which compounds the desire, but it is definately "Doable".

Keep us posted, were rooting for ya.

I'm not one to "push" exersize on anyone, but it will do more good for your health than cigs ever thought about doing bad...Heres one fact that I figured out, jog/run in the evenings and your desire for that evening cig will all but deminish.

LTS

Props to you Bro, butt horns as we may, I want your sorry old az around here as long as possible, as do many others I'm quite sure.

Wonder if you can get 'ol Crash on the wagon? :cool:

Crpdeth
  18. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

The first thing I noticed after I quit was how much more money I had. And in those days they were a whole dollar a pack. $30 to $40 extra a month was a lot to me back then.
  19. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Think I'll go have a butt! :D
  20. My sentiments exactly, IPT! :D