A question concerning a Winchester Model 94.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Zane71464, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

A old friend of mine has a winchester model 94, 30-30 lever action. He has been wanting to get rid of it for sometime now (he cant get out much these days), but the age of it I'm not sure of, thinking it's pre 1970 because he told me he bought it about 30yrs ago from my neighbor and it was used then.
    I looked at it a few days ago when I was out there and it's in overall pretty good shape. The only (problem) with it that I can visualy see is a little rust on the left side of the reciever.
    He is wanting $250 for it and not a penny less. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if that is a good price? I'm not real familiar with the 94's and looked them up from the net and prices do range a lot from what I have seen them going for on different sights/auctions.
    I was thinking just for the fact that I do not have one, that $250 would be reasonable. Any thought or suggestions would further my thoughts to just go out there and hand him the money.
  2. Goody

Goody Member

Yes, assuming the condition is as described, that is a good price. If it turns out to be a pre 64 it is a real good price. $250 is about what the average, plain Jane, post 64, 94 was bringing before Winchester(USRAC or whoever it was) stopped making them and hysteria took over on the pricing.
  3. Telcotech

Telcotech Member

I agree w/ Goody- if in fact it is a pre-64 that is very reasonable....even considering the surface rust on the rcv'r.
    I was told a while back,at a gun show, by a Winchester collector,that if in doubt about the age and no way of checking a ser. # at the time you are looking over the gun....open the breach, and if you can see swirl marks, its a good indicator that the rifle was built pre-64.....an indication it was milled, not stamped like most post-64 Winchester's.Also I believe that older 94's were a bit heaver that the later ones.
    Several auctions over the past couple yrs. here in northern IA.....most mod. 94's and the Marlin 30-30 generally go from $350-$500, dependent on condition of course and any extra's like scopes and slings.

TT
  4. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Think that is a good price if you dont want it let me know.........
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

A quick way to tell pre- from post-64. Turn the rifle upside down and look at the flat part on the bottom of the receiver, ahead of the trigger guard/lever. At the front of that part (the link) a screw indicates a pre-64 rifle; no screw means post-64.

Jim
  6. Zane71464

OK! I will go out tomorrow and have a look at it. That's some good facts there that I had no idea about. And either way I'm going with 250 in hand.
    I thank you all for the info on that.
    Zane
  7. muddober

muddober Active Member

Unless you just can't live without a model 94 I would suggest that you don't buy it if it is a post 1964. $250 is all the money for a post 64 gun if it didn't have any rust. As Jim K told you that screw being there is what you want to see.

Ron
  8. Zane71464

Okay...good advice there. I know I was looking at some of the post "64"'s on some different web sites and the price on a few of them, well 250 is kind of what I would call "top dollar" for the post 1964 gun in the gun he has in it's condition. But I'll go out tomorrow and look and see if it is a pre 1964.
  9. Zane71464

Well I got around to going and looking at the gun. I got the serial# and it's DOM is 1981. He still wont budge on $250...but other then I 1st described, it's in real good shape, just a tad bit of rust in the left side of the reciever...stock is in real good shape and the blueing is in great shape, just that bit of rust on the left side of the reciever. I'd like to have a 94, but not sure about for $250!?
  10. MarkB

MarkB New Member

The 94 was my first rifle I recieved it in 1978 the gun was brand new. I never did like it, two years later my grandfather passed away and I got his old Marlin 336 in 35 rem. I love that gun. If some will give me $250.00 I will sell my 94
  11. muddober

muddober Active Member

Zane, I don't believe you would be happy with a post 64 model 94. I would suggest you get a post 64 and pre 64 together and compare them at the same time before you purchase anything. As Mark said the Marlin 336 is a fine rifle and can be had in 30-30 as well. For me I would prefer it in 35 Remington but really to each his own on caliber. My favorite in the model 94 is 38-55 but even one in 50% condition will cost about $500.00 because it will be a pre war gun only and they bring bucks. A real real nice one in 38-55 will cost about 3K+.

Ron
  12. Zane71464

MarkB, Ron...yes I agree 100%. Thinking back now when I was young, my cousin had a model 94 post 64 with a side mount and scoped. And remembering back when we were out shooting, I absolutly hated that gun with a passion. Looking at the 94 the other day just reminded my of that.
    And thinking I'll definatly be looking into a marlin.
    Note*what I hated the most of that post 94 of my cousins what for the fact of the side-mount scope...I never could get used to it and always told him (kids) it was a piece of junk...I was always shooting the Remington 788 243WIN. and talk about accurate. I just got that same gun back this fall and after it sitting for about 30+ years..took alot to get the trigger freed up and properly working but the accuracy of that gun is just flat out good.

Zane
  13. jetmanstwo

jetmanstwo New Member

My dad left me his model 94, 32 Special. My mom gave it to him as a wedding gift back in 1936. Is any one familiar with this cal., for the model 94? Jetman
  14. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i disagree i think with most everybody,since the 94 is no longer made the street value has went way up,im not saying they are worth the extra money but that the way it is.its hard to find one in my neck of the woods in even fair shape for less than 350.-400. i have three post 64 winchesters and i enjoy them all. old semperfi
  15. Ironman387

Ironman387 New Member

I was wondering if some one could tell me what a model 94AE purchased new in 2003 but never fired in perfect shape with cash regester receipt new in box also in perfect shape also has DOJ locking system lock and keys also never removed from pkg sn# begins with 6505 might be worth?? Thanks
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  16. Ironman387

Ironman387 New Member

Hey guys mine is new in box never fired and it has the screw there im pretty sure mine is a post 64 but the reason I say that is I have the receipt where it was purchased in 2003
  17. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

One on one of the premier auction sites with a buy it now price of 500 with lock, box, hang tag and papers.
  18. Ironman387

Ironman387 New Member

Jim I have a never fired new in box mod 94 with manufactor tags still hanging on lever and it is AG style,but it has the screw there,or did I mis read your post ? (30 30) Thanks . Maybe you can tell me about what mine is worth, Thanks again..
  19. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

If I remember correctly, the cutoff for the pre/post 64's in the Model 94 was right around the 2.5million serial number. I know thats not precise, and I am sure someone on here knows the exact cutoff, but......................thats the best way to be sure of the year of manufacture; the serial. I personally, wont purchase a post-64 for more than $200 and only then if its in very nice condition. The side(s) of the receiver, however, is where the rifle balances, when carried; and finish wear there is almost guaranteed. As far as the pre-versus-post 64 arguments, frankly, I dont buy into them very much. Yes, there is a slight premium associated with the pre- but frankly, if you are looking for a hunting rifle, or otherwise "fun gun" there really isnt anything wrong with the post- rifles. I have owned quite a few of both the pre- and post- ones in various calibers, and I REALLY think IMHO that you are well served with either. I will say, again, IMHO, that the cross bolt safety is a complete ABOMINATION, and I personally WONT purchase one of those. I know, everyone will say that "another safety is just a good idea" but I think that it completely ruins the grace and appearance of the rifle. It was made for 90 years without it. Its a "lawyer item" not a shooters item. Now, if you are planning to shoot at lawyers......................lmao. Oops, did I say that??
  20. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Agreed. I have one made in 79. It's not the prettiest thing you ever saw by a long shot but when it comes to putting meat on the table she don't fool around.