A question for our German members -

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ampaterry, Feb 9, 2012.

1. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I have an aquaintance in Germany who says his electricity was turned off in November for lack of payment.

My daughter said when she lived there, this was illegal to do in the winter.

Can anyone verify what the current German laws are about this?
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Germany used to have nationalised power but has been selling off the assets to make public/private partnerships and the games changed , the rules protecting pensioners and the aged have changed a lot i have read

what they full impact is i dont know , but know they are protesting the changes in a big way
  3. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

It's going to be an "interesting" 2012 in the Euro Zone for sure!
  4. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I guess they haven't ever heard about wood stoves or maybe they just had too much money to spend for too long.

I've never had the juice shut off, but when fuel oil went above a buck years back (was using 2000 gal/year in oil fired boiler) I hooked up a wood stove in basement & wood cook stove upstairs; saves me 12K/year which I will squirrel away & pay my elec bill on time no matter how high she goes, ha ha.
  5. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I lived there for 2 yrs while I was in the army back in 77-78 and I had coal oil heat but I rented a downstairs apartment from a german landlord that supplied the electric included in the rent. But that was years ago. I would think any utility company has a winter rule they have to abide by.
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I don't think they have a lot of wood in Europe Shurh, at least not enough to burn for heat.

Ampaterry, I have no idea as to the situation over there.
  7. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

So we have no one here in Germany?

OK, I will try to figure out how to contact the electrical utility company for this area, and see if anyone there speaks English - -
  8. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Germans are made to take English classes in school and most of them speak decent English. Some of the older generation folks didnt care to admit they spoke it but they did.
  9. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

If they are privatizing it, then the rules are probably looking close to what ours are. I have heard in the U.S. they won't shut your power off in the winter IF you have kids. If you don't they will. Just what I have heard over the years.
  10. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Here in KY they will shut it off unless you go and arrange apayment plan. even if you can only afford $5-$10 a month on a payment plan during the winter they will not shut it off. IF kids, elderly, or disabled in the house; they have to work with you plus help find "assistance" in paying your utility bills especially in winter.