A quick question about an old h&r .32 s&w

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by jimc19322, Jan 30, 2009.

1. jimc19322

jimc19322 New Member

Hey guys, i have a question I am sure that any one of you could answer pretty easily.
    I was in at my local gunshop today and I saw that they had an old h&r .32 s&w for pretty cheap.It was in good shape so i picked it up just to use as a seconday gun to my .40 s&w.
    on the barrel the gun has .32 s&w ctge on the barrel and it has the american double action printed on the top.the gun loads from the side.
    the guy sold me .32 s&w longs for it. i was wondering if anyone knows if i can use .32 s&w sghort rounds for it.how about .32 acps?
    any help you guys might have would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks alot.
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

you were lucky this time around far more of the american double action revolvers were made for black powder cartridge pressures than for smokeless pressures. the caliber markings on left side of the barrel indicate this is a second model (1905-1941) and suitable for modern 32 S&W or 32 S&W Long cartridges.

the 32 acp cartridge is loaded to higher pressures than the 32 S&W Long so in this revolver of undetermined age i would not fire them.

AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION SECOND MODEL
    (SMOKELESS POWDER) -------------------------------------1905-1941
    32 caliber 6 shot, 38 caliber 5 shot, 44 caliber 5 shot, pull pin cylinder release, calibers and barrel lengths are the same as first model, 44 Webley caliber discontinued in 1921, nickel finish, blue optional. Difference between First Model and Second Model is the caliber Markings on the left side of the barrel. After 1930 this model was listed in catalogs as; AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION No. 60 .32 Caliber 6 shot, AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION No. 65 .38 Caliber 5 shot
    100%=$225 60%= $75 For all American Double Action Second Models add 15% premium for blue finish and 10% for 4 ½” or 6” barrel

bill
  3. jimc19322

jimc19322 New Member

hey thanks alot for the help goforth.....i really like the gun,im kinda new to buying handguns as i just turned 21 last year and i really dont have alot of money to throw around and get the best stuff yet....the only problem that i have found with the gun is that its kinda hard to get ammo for it where im at (southern ohio).most places say that they stock it but that they are out because alot of people want to carry that calibre for conceal and carry.
    but youre pretty sure that i can shoot modern s&w rounds out of it?
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

i am 100% sure this revolver was designed for smokeless powder cartridge pressures what i can't tell you if this revolver is in good enough condition to be safely fired.
    bill
  5. mikey888

mikey888 New Member

bill: does the H&R 732 .32S&W fire longs and shorts or just the shorts? mikey
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The .32 S&W short is a short version of the .32 S&W long. You can shoot either one if your firearm is in good condition. It's the same concept as shooting .38 Special in a .357 revolver. I would suggest a little education on firearms is in order other than the internet.
  7. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

by the time the H&R model 732 was introduced in the mid 1950's the 32 S&W was considered obselete and reserved for use in preWWII five shot models. the M732 was designed with the 32 S&W LONG in mind. any 6 shot H&R 32 caliber manufactured after 1905 will handle both the 32 S&W and the 32 S&W Long.
    bill
  8. boreprince

boreprince New Member

Regarding from above;

"Hey guys, i have a question I am sure that any one of you could answer pretty easily.
    I was in at my local gunshop today and I saw that they had an old h&r .32 s&w for pretty cheap.It was in good shape so i picked it up just to use as a seconday gun to my .40 s&w.
    on the barrel the gun has .32 s&w ctge on the barrel and it has the american double action printed on the top.the gun loads from the side.
    the guy sold me .32 s&w longs for it. i was wondering if anyone knows if i can use .32 s&w sghort rounds for it.how about .32 acps?
    any help you guys might have would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks alot."

I have the exact same pistol but it doesn't say "American Double Action", it is stamped, "H&R Double Action". Is there a difference?
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  9. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to the forum Boreprince. You can use 32 shorts. 32acp is only semi-rimmed and is not advised to be used. Headspace on the 32 SW is on the rim, with the 32acp having only a minute rim, it could cause issues.
  10. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

pictures are always helpful but this is most likely a H&R Double Action Model 1904 (or model 04) meant to replace the american double action model but didn't quite make it.

MODEL 1904 LARGE SOLID FRAME DOUBLE ACTION 38 S&W CALIBER -----1905-1941
    5 shot cylinder capacity, pull pin cylinder release, nickel finish (blue optional), 2½, 4½ or 6 inch barrel lengths, hard rubber Target Logo grips, marked with company name and address on left side of barrel and on top strap in two lines “H&R DOUBLE ACTION MODEL 1904 .38 CAL.”. After 1930 listed in catalogs as: H&R MODEL 4 DOUBLE ACTION No. 83 .38 S&W CALIBER 5 shot
    VALUE: 100%=$230 60%=$55

MODEL 04 LARGE SOLID FRAME DOUBLE ACTION 32 S&W LONG CALIBER----1905-1941
    6 shot cylinder capacity, pull pin cylinder release, nickel finish (blue optional), 2½, 4½ or 6 inch barrel lengths, hard rubber Target Logo grips,
    marked with company name and address on left side of barrel and on top strap in two lines “H&R DOUBLE ACTION MODEL 04 .32 6 SHOT”. After 1930 listed in catalogs as: H&R MODEL 4 DOUBLE ACTION No. 80 .32 S&W Long Caliber 6 shot
    VALUE: 100%=$220 60%=$55

bill