A Savage in .17 HMR

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by 45Auto, Apr 3, 2011.

1. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

An unexpected rifle joined the pile recently, a Savage Model 93 in .17 HMR. I'm not sure if I like it or not, being sort of old fashioned about such things. But I'm willing to give the rifle and it's cute little cartrige a try.

Does anyone here have this rifle? For those who do:

1. Which weight do you like the best, 17 gr. or 20 gr?

2. Who has the best prices for this ammo?

Any other comments would be appreciated.
  2. J.D. Bass

J.D. Bass New Member

17 gr. is best for me and I get Hornaday Mach 2s for $12 at my local shop.

Attached Files:

3. J.D. Bass

J.D. Bass New Member

I've only had this gun for a couple of months but so far it is a great shooter. I set it for 100 yards because of the trajectory information I found. It was also recommended by some guys on here. Very accurate and after you run some rounds through it it will bolt quite smoothly. So far, I love it. I told my wife that it was my new favorite rimfire. Now only if the ammo was as cheep as .22 LR I would shoot it a little more.

Attached Files:

4. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

J.D
    Is that an aftermarket trigger I see? Reason I ask is because I hate the trigger on mine (wobbly creepy thing) and i also think the stock is way to light compared to the barrel real front heavy! but aside from that the gun is sub moa at 100 yards off a rest
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  5. J.D. Bass

J.D. Bass New Member

No, Savage has a couple of the nicer options on this gun. It came with this "AccuTrigger". I love it. I've never put a custom trigger on a gun, but now I know why people do.
  6. J.D. Bass

J.D. Bass New Member

I agree that the gun isn't balanced as well as I would like. I really need a tripod setup as I see most people have on these. Off hand shooting isn't as friendly as say, a carbine type of rifle. (like a 10/22) And "sub moa" is what I get as well but I haven't shot it beyond 100 yards yet.
  7. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Thanks for the comments. The trigger pull is rather nice, the insert reminds me of the safety on an early Iver Johnson hammerless trigger.

I'll look for some 17 gr. .17 HMR.
  8. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

I can tell you how to fix that trigger...if you are interested. It's very easy and works great for the old non accu-trigger models

I added a pound of "duct seal" to my Savage with a "tupperware" butt stock to balance it out.

Here's the one that I added duct seal putty to the butt and a cheek riser. I dont know why their plastic stocks have so much drop to the butt stock, the riser really improved it. It's a 17 Mach2.
    [​IMG]

I bought one the first year that Savage made the 93 in 17HMR, it has a nice wood stock and is accurate as hell too.
    [​IMG]

Link to the Accu-Riser cheek riser at Cabela's.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Accu-Riser-Cheek-Pad-Permanent-Mount/706223.uts

Link to duct seal putty, some people don't know what it is. Lowe's or Home Depot should carry the stuff. If you stuff it in there the stock will hold about a pound of it.
    http://www.rainbowtech.net/products/view.php?cn=4035

Link to info on fixing the old triggers. They say to use a .25 shim but I found that one of mine needed more and and the other less than that. I buy cheap feeler gauges for this and cut off a piece from what thickness I need.
    http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46774
  9. J.D. Bass

J.D. Bass New Member

I didn't know about the Accu-Riser add on. Good info. GunHugger.
  10. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

What is the best set-up to clean these rifles with? I have been told that a .22 rod will not fit.
  11. J.D. Bass

J.D. Bass New Member