A scale question this time.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/4/01 10:15:19 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All A scale question this time.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My new RCBS 5-0-5 scale arrived and I was reading the instructions on zeroing the scale. All seems simple except! with the silver (weighted) pan in place along with the brass pan, I extend the leveling post all the way out and still have to add .450 of an inch of shim to make the scale ballance out (empty). I took the weighted pan apart to find it contained lead shot of all sizes. For fun, I took a few small ones out and it ballanced without having to add the shim. Is this this the correct method or do I need to replace all the counterwrights that the factory put in the pan and use the almost 1/2 " shim?
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

AntiqueDr
    (10/4/01 12:18:23 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: A scale question this time.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Zero is zero, I'd imagine. Check with something of known weight...

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

kdubaz
    (10/4/01 5:58:12 pm)
    BG - The factory zero'd the scale and the lead weights in the bottom of the hanger need to be left in place.

Unless something is drasticlly wrong, you should be sure you have a pretty level work top (I leveled my bench with a carpenter's level), hang the silver hanger onto the balance beam hook, place the empty brass colored pan in the hanger and adjust the bottom levelling screw until the beam comes into zero with the scale. Be sure all the counterweights are also set at "0" on the beam. I've still got my old 5-0-5 to keep for a backup to the Lyman digital. Bought it over 40 years ago and it still balances well.

If you still can't get it to balance, send it back to RCBS for warranty work.
    Keep below the ridgeline!

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/5/01 11:06:57 am)
    I took your advise and got the level out, the bench is a 1/2 in. off level , Thanks!
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

warpig883
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/5/01 2:22:34 pm)
    Sounds like a bench I built.
    Don't mind me, I am a blithering idiot:)