A Southern favorite

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by Pistolenschutze, Nov 2, 2007.

1. 'POSSUM AND SWEET TATERS

1 opossum, about 2 1/2 lb., skinned and cleaned
    Salt
    Freshly ground pepper
    Flour
    1/2 C water
    4 medium-sized sweet potatoes
    2 T. sugar

Preheat oven to 350 F. Wipe opossum with a damp cloth and trim and discard excess fat. Mix salt with pepper and rub thoroughly into opossum, inside and out. Sprinkle inside and out with flour. Put opossum on its back in a roasting pan with a tight-fitting lid. Pour in water, cover, and roast in oven for about 50 minutes. Cut sweet potatoes in half lengthwise and surround opossum [note: I am laughing hysterically as I type this] with them. If water has evaporated, add enough to cover bottom of pan. Cover and return to oven for about 25 minutes more. Remove cover and sprinkle sweet potatoes with about 1/4 teaspoon salt and the sugar. Continue roasting until meat and potatoes become crisp on the surface. Makes 3 to 4 servings.
  2. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

If you would remove the opossum and put a racoon in that roasting pan I will beat a path to your door.
    opossum should only be cooked over an open fire so that all the grease (there is lots of it) will drip free and then and only then is it fit to eat. I did not say good I said you could eat it.
    FYI when you fry a opossum you will have three cups more oil then what you started with.
  3. Well Ron, I did post a skunk recipe for you. Do you get much grease from them? :D