A story of meat and potatoes

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Oct 3, 2011.

1. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Jukers testimony of God's leading inspired me to tell a story from my life as well.

When we lived in IL and both kids were home, we used to buy meat by the side and have it cut up and flash frozen, and store it in our big old chest freezer. On a trip to Peoria to pick up a half a beef, there was a semi parked on the shoulder of Rt. 29 with a sign up selling potatoes in hundred pound bags at a GREAT price. We stopped and bought a bag, and Judy said "Let's get a bag for the pastor too!" He had a PASSEL of kids, and the tiny home mission church was his only income, so I readily agreed as I knew he could use them. We proceeded to get our meat order and hauled it home to store in the freezer. Try as we might, there were about two grocery sacks of cuts left over that absolutely would NOT fit in the freezer, so I said "Heck, let's take them to the pastor too, along with the potatoes."
    We drove to his house and unloaded the meat and potatoes, hauled them to his porch and knocked on his door. He answered, we gave them to him, and he thanked us very graciously - with a kind of odd expression on his face.
    End of story - I thought.

Several months later in a Sunday service, he got on the topic of faith.
    He told us that a few months earlier, he and his wife found themselves completely broke and without a speck of food in the house. She asked him what they should do, and he said to set the table and thank God for the food which he would provide. She did, and they all sat down to empty plates and thanked God for his bounty. Then, he said, there was a knock on the door and when he answered it, two members of the church were standing on his step with a huge sack of potatoes and two grocery bags of meat.

We sat there in shock - tears running down our cheeks. We had NO IDEA we had been following God's specific direction, and we had no idea he was in such dire straits at that time.

So often, we follow God's leading and don't even know it -
  2. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Well-Known Member

Terry thats a great story! We never know when, where or how god will use us. We all should be ready when he calls for us to help! Thanks for sharing with us!
  3. Marlin T

Marlin T Well-Known Member

Simply beautiful
    Thanks
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Yet another inspiring story! Ya gotta love it! Sometimes we don't hear God talking to us untill we are in a quite place, and at other times you can hear him screaming at you!
  5. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

That is a great story and thanks for sharing it with us.
  6. Juker

Juker New Member

Thanks for sharing this, Terry. We can never give too much.
  7. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

Thanks for sharing that, we are but tools in the hands of a seasoned Craftsman, are we not?
  8. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Thank you for sharing that with us Terry. I love to hear stories of GOD's plans.