A surprising day at the range

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Sig Willy, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Sig Willy

Sig Willy Member

I went shooting today at the range and I did something unusual. Sometimes I'll shoot both my Sigma 9mm and my Sig P250c 40sw. In past trips to the range with both guns my 9mm always shot tighter groups than the 40sw. Not today, I did so well with my 40sw that I wished I brought my camera.

I had groups in the heart, throat and head areas (where I aimed) with only a few flyers but still in the secondary green. This has to be the best day for the 40sw and I think I can do it again.

I've been practicing with dry firing and different holds and I found a good hold by shifting my left hand a little to the right (wrapped around my right hand). The gun was real steady this way and now I'll remember it. Took me long enough to get it right. :rolleyes:

As to ammo, it's mostly UMC HPs which I shot today.
  2. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Practice makes perfect. I am still trying to get my Beretta 92 to shoot like I know it can. I still can shot my Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag better.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Loosen your elbows for the auto gvw. Guys that do well with revolvers and not well with automatics is usually because they are locking thier elbows to absorb the recoil. RUn that M9 with a little bend in your elbows and im bettn your groups will shrink up.
  4. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I never lock my elbows with anything that I shoot. I keep them loose and let the gun do the work.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thats the right way Jim. But twisting that elbow in does help recoil with a revolver, and thats why most folks do it.
  6. Sig Willy

Sig Willy Member

I did that already. It's the first thing I learned. I also tried the weaver stance which I find comfortable but it didn't give me a good hand hold. Also it brought the sights closer and they were blocking the target.

By the way, all my shooting were at 25 feet.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I worked on my trigger pull. At first I was pulling it slowly but it was tiring so I just pull my trigger faster but not snapping it. All that took me a while to get it all together. I had my trigger pull down pat but now found a good handhold. It's the way the trigger guard rested on my left hand that made it steady.

I gotta wait til next month to shoot again.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  7. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

Sig, you could have missed the target all day long.
    Any day at the range is a good day.
  8. Sig Willy

Sig Willy Member

You're right. It's a blast to go shooting. :)