1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

A Survivor

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by todd51, Jan 24, 2011.

1. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

It's cold and it's snowy and I have cabin fever. Thought I would share some photos of an old hand me down survivor.

Best I can tell it is a H. W. Deeds barrel (so marked on left side of barrel near breech). Barrel is 43" and around .40 cal. Double set triggers. I am guessing it was converted to percussion from flintlock at some time in it's life. No names on the lock. There is an engraving of a pointer dog and bird in flight on lock plate.

I found a H. W. Deeds that had a shop in Reading PA around 1775. This old gun has had a hard life with signs of a lot of use. Cracked and repaired stock in a couple of places. Has had it's share of rust at times. With all that it looks like it could be loaded and fired today after 200 years of abuse and use. But will just let it enjoy it's retirement.

Any thing to add would be appreciated. I know little of it's history or ownership over all those years.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  2. imray

imray New Member

Thanks for sharing the photographs, If only you could know the stories that go with the history of this piece. It may have provided tons of food, and may have helped provide the fathers of the country the start we got, quite a nice piece, thanks, best wishes, ray
  3. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Thanks Ray, I agree if it could only talk and tell the tales. It was sure not a beauty queen but instead a working gun.
  4. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    todd i think i would load it with a light charge and stuff a little paper down the barrel to see it smoke one last time. old simperfi
  5. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

My 2 cents--it doesn't appear to be converted from flintlock. The contour of the stock mimics the lines of the lock, no evidence of a frizzen spring, etc. and the lock is inlet nicely into the wood. Nice old gun--nice to see something with a full stock. I suspect it dates to the early 1840s if not late 1830s and kilt a bair or two. You might want to check and make sure the nipple threads aren't corroded away if you do decide to shoot anything other than tissue paper out of it.

Another thought--that barrel may indeed have come off of an old flintlock and reused on a percussion era gun.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011