A Trip Down Memeory Lane

Discussion in 'VMBB General Discussion' started by inplanotx, Mar 8, 2003.

1. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/20/03 2:44:28 pm)
    Reply A Trip Down Memeory Lane
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thought this was rather interesting from times gone by .....

How many of these do you remember?

1.) Blackjack chewing gum.
    2.) Wax, Coke bottle shaped vials, filled with colored sugar water.
    3.) Candy cigarettes.
    4.) Soda pop machines that dispense glass bottles.
    5.) Coffee shops with table-side juke boxes.
    6.) Home milk delivery in glass bottles, with cardboard stoppers.
    7.) Party lines (not the ones that cost $4.99 per minute)
    8.) Newsreels before the movie.
    9.) P.F. Flyers.
    10.) Butch wax.
    11.) Telephone numbers with a word prefix--i.e., Butterfield-8.
    12.) Howdy Doody.
    13.) 45 rpm records.
    14.) S&H Green Stamps.
    15.) Hi-Fi.
    16.) Metal ice cube trays with levers.
    17.) The smell of a fresh run of mimeographs.
    18.) Blue flashbulbs.
    19.) Pop guns that shoot corks.
    20.) Drive-in movies.
    21.) Studebakers
    22.) Wash tub wringers.
    23.) Roller skate keys.
    25.) Uncle Milty.

Six Out!

hope6970
    *VMBB Staff*
    (1/20/03 5:15:36 pm)
    Reply Re: A Trip Down Memeory Lane
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here is another one I remember.....

when in school all the girls use to collect gum wappers, they were folded in a particular way that could be connected to the next one to be added. This chain, as we called it, was made to a certain length and was suppose to represent the height of the man that we would eventually marry.

Mine turned out to be quite long.......I still have it. My husband let me know I must have planned on marrying a giant.

Memories, aren't they swell?

Hope

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Of Staff*
    (1/20/03 6:18:21 pm)
    I had a Studebaker car one time---it was a 1947 Commander and thought tinny as hell, it was an attractive car--ahead of it's time in styling---it was about l954 that I had it so truly,it was not an antique. The first time I was discharged from the Navy in Long Beach, California, I was planning to go to Iowa State Teachers College and become a teacher---my older sisters husband come down with lieukemia (sp) and I reenlisted and gave her my shipping over bonus---sold the Studebaker and shipped in for another 16. Nice memory--that year I had got engaged to Dee Dee--I escaped though!!! Wilborn

hope6970
    *VMBB Staff*
    (1/20/03 11:28:55 pm)
    Chief....Dee Dee????? Now, that sounds like a very interesting memory! Any details? - LOL

Hope

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Of Staff*
    (1/21/03 6:27:13 am)
    Dee Dee was a lovely girl---a decade later she would have made an excellent 'flower child'---bells on her fingers, rings in her nose---every time we went out together, folks clustered around waiting for this strange person to say something profound---you know, like her seeing a vision or like that---but DeeDee would just peacefully stare off into the distance and the things that were recorded behind DeeDee lovely blue eyes, could as well been recorded in Chatty Cathys button eyes. DeeDee sighed when she spoke---never a complete sentence---more like a 78 RPM record being played on a 33 RPM turntable. Actually, it was not just my buddies who gathered like diciples around DeeDee and I---girls made up a lot of the crowd--it was like they wanted to draw from DeeDee's particular trend. We used to go down to this little
    greasy spoon' coffee shop on Motor Avenue in Culver City California---it was just catty-cornered from MGM Studios on Washington Blvd----lots of the young starlets and wanna-be extras come in to visit and show off. Frankly DeeDee would draw a bigger crowd than those fool kids. DeeDee lived in a trailer park over near Esther Williams and Ben Gage's restuarant called The Trails---this world famous jockey Eddie Arcaro, who was racing the Hollywood Park circuit that summer lived there too---his trailer was baby blue to match his baby blue Cadillac---naw Hope, you really didn't want me to ramle on this way, now did you? I stand by my term of not getting wed to DeeDee---I ESCAPED!!! The Navy told me that if I had needed a wife I would have been issued one---I beleive the young lady wept-----not really---perhaps a seagull flew into the depths of her strange looking eyes. Wilborn

Edited by: high2fly at: 1/21/03 6:31:30 am

hope6970
    *VMBB Staff*
    (1/22/03 12:30:06 am)
    Chief,

A Seagull? LOL

This Miss Dee Dee sounded like quite the gal......and yes Chief, we like it when you Ramble On......you tell us the most interesting "stuff"......LOL

Ramble!

Hope

Tac401
    Administrator
    (1/22/03 2:11:42 am)

Re: A Trip Down Memeory Lane
    Chief,

Yoo got such'a way wit woyd's!

TFF VMBB Email Tac

hope6970
    *VMBB Staff*
    (1/22/03 11:29:45 pm)
    Since Six has us trippin down memory road here.....how many of you still continue to use the old cast iron skillets? I have asked that question of other people and they ask me what age I live in.......LOL

Hope

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Of Staff*
    (1/23/03 6:02:04 am)
    Land Sakes, that is a reach back into the past---we had a cast iron skillet and a long CI griddle for baking pancakes. Though of immense utility valuve, those old suckers sure got 'grubby' looking. When the Teflon coated pans come onto the market, we parted company with those old cast iron things. I do think of that old griddle now and then when I make pancakes or French Toast---they made me look like a master chef---. Week ago today, we had met Fay and Denny (the Iwo Jima Marine) over at the Sun City Cracker Barrel restuarant for breakfast---saw brand new cast iron utensils being sold there in the lobby---made in China---looked to be good, thick material. Naw Hope, those easy to clean Teflon ones have spoiled me now---but the memory trip was pleasant. Wilborn

hope6970
    *VMBB Staff*
    (1/24/03 12:29:31 am)
    Chief, those Teflon things that were referred to as pans are a disgrace to the kitchen.....lol I use my cast iron (Not Made In China) that are many years old off and on and they are "not grubby" looking, at least on the inside anyway...lol They can sure outcook any of my pots and pans that are suppose to be a chefs delight.

Hope

Tac401
    Administrator
    (1/24/03 11:54:21 am)

I liked the iron too, only thing I got that's cast iron now
    is my ...!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

hope6970
    *VMBB Staff*
    (1/24/03 11:08:48 pm)
    JD...Wellllll, if you would get up and move around a little bit it wouldn't be that way....lol

berto64
    *VMBB Staff*
    (1/25/03 12:21:22 am)

You got it, Hope!

All the camping cookware is Cast iron, from the dutch ovens to the corn bread baking trays, and of course, the skillets.

Most of mine is Griswald.

berto
    Endeaver to Persevere

Tac401
    Administrator
    (1/25/03 11:39:36 am)

Hope!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac