A Truly "Cheap" Pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Old Gun Guy, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Hello!
    I don't know if anyone has ever seen one of these, but they are a single-shot .22 short pistol in kit form. I started to assemble it, but I figured I'd post some pics of it before I continued. The instruction sheet cracks me up as far as how to make it function if it doesn't work after assembly. The roll-marks and serial # are put on with an electric engraver. As you can see, no expense was spared in producing this fine pistol! ;););)
    Can anyone shed anymore info on this fine collectible!
    Thank you!
    Old Gun Guy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Havnt ever seen one of those. Looks like it could be a fun project.
  3. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

A glorified "zip" gun!

The Minnesota Historical Society is selling photos of it; they should be able to provide some history of the "company"

http://collections.mnhs.org/cms/display.php?irn=10578684

I guess "Semi Automatic Ejection" means "sometimes"?

Post a test target when you complete it...
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  4. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Interesting item Old Gun Guy. I have learned something new. Thank you for the posting.

Best regards,
    Greg
  5. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

From what I can see of the parts, it looks like it fires from an open bolt. Not only ejects but recocks itself. (Put a magazine in it and the BATF would be interested........;))
  6. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

hrf,
    One of the reasons I bought it was that it was made in my home state of Minnesota. If I ever shoot this thing, the test target will no doubt be unscathed, unless I'm within 5 feet.:D:D
    A glorified "zip" gun is a very apt description.
    Old Gun Guy
  7. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Thanks for the inputs. I'll post some pics when I get it assembled.
    Old Gun Guy
  8. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

I thought the same thing hrf. A nifty zip gun! let me know how it works out Gun.
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

About the same idea as the S-M pistol. Although the latter was never sold as a kit, it wasn't a lot better made.

Jim
  10. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

Memory lane again. Back in 1963 I made a simple percussion pistol and wrote and sold "A Muzzle Loading Pistol You Can Build for Under $10". It was based on a surplus .45 'grease gun' barrel blank un-chambered you bought from Dixie Gun Works. All the rest was scrap metal & hardware store stuff. About the only serious tooling required was a tap for the breech plug. I sold close to 2000 copies and quite a few people actually built them I got several letters with pictures of them.