The Firearms Forum banner

A Vietnam Veteran Stated:

2K views 0 replies 0 participants last post by  Guest 
G
#1 ·
oneknight
(5/7/01 10:49:38 pm)
| Del All A Vietnam Veteran Stated:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"For those who have fought, life has a flavor......
the protected will never know."

homer4
(5/8/01 6:30:31 am)
| Del Re: A Vietnam Veteran Stated:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm willing to agree with that Donna,but will stretch it a bit further to include most any experiences in our lives are shared with others somewhere and those circumstances make it unique to them,whether it's combat,near death experiences,8 seconds on a bull or auto racing for a living.Anything really.

Combat does have that unique flavor to it as that fellow said with all the variables that come into play such as MOS.assigned unit,region and topography,armaments etc.Your rank,are you giving orders,responsible for others,is your immediate superior competent and on and on.

All the above won't get you a headache if things go aray...it'll get you dead as they say.Yes,those in combat have a unique bond and life does seem to hold a stronger sence of life and it's brevity.
...and two hard boiled eggs.

Mithrandir
(5/8/01 12:10:20 pm)
Homer4.."Combat does have that unique flavor to it "

Yes,,, like the taste of steel in the back of your throat..

or maybe a cap on your tooth that has broken off....

others have said that it was cotton in thier throat...

each must have their own "taste" and may be completely different even when standing next to someone else during the event... Eh????

out

Edited by: Mithrandir at: 5/8/01 1:18:35 pm

homer4
(5/8/01 2:03:06 pm)
Yes Mith,even side by side through a circumstance as you say...sort of a flavor within a flavor like vanilla as opposed to vanilla pecan.

Combat in any war will have similarities that the participants will find common and can relate too,but each war has it's paculiarities that make it unique and then within that war the combatants have the same similarities but experience it differently.Individuality I guess,huh.

Mithrandir
(5/8/01 2:07:24 pm)
Homer4...

I have found that only the smell may be the same...

(also,... just curious.... "two hard boiled eggs" is in reference to?????)

out

dap22
Senior Chief Moderator II
(5/8/01 3:14:16 pm)
Just ask Bob Kerrey or any combat veteran. It's perhaps one reason a combat veteran has such difficulty relating feelings and experiences. My own thoughts include memories of being so scared that my knees would literally knock against one another. I remember going down on December 7, 1967 not as worried about crashing as I was being able to get my M16, M79 and enough ammo to survive. The flavor would have seemed to favor fear but instead it was survival. Man's ultimate instinct.

homer4
(5/9/01 9:10:03 pm)
Dang Dave!,can hardly imagine that experience.Were you out of range of friendlies?

homer4
(5/9/01 9:24:04 pm)
Yeah to the smell Mith,if your refering to fear...man I remember sweating so bad from fear and the Adrenalin,afterwards the exhaustion...think it's called Endorfins or something like that to help relax???

"and two hard boiled eggs" is a line that was tossed back and forth several times between Chico and Groucho Marx in "A Night At The Opera". Groucho is ordering food from a steward in the ships hallway and upon the end of ordering,Chico(a stowaway) shouts out from inside the room "and two hard boiled eggs".This happens several times before the steward is dismissed by Groucho.

It is typical Marx Borothers...whimsical and nonsenencical.Just a way of having fun...I like having a good time and especially like to poke fun at myself,others and situations.Nothing mean ever intended.

low2go
*Senior Chief Moderator*
(5/10/01 7:59:50 am)
I had if for a long time. It was mud smeared with that red clay-crap from up north and finally when I gave Chief Bill Beckett, along with all my other paraphenlia I had brought back with me, that's the last time I saw it. This Engineering Aide (draftsman) had drawn the cartoon charactor SNOOPY DOG from the PEANUTS
thing on the inside cover of a C-Ration box and given it to me. He had done it very professionally in colored pencils that he used in his drawings and sketches of construction work. It was SNOOPY looking up into the starfilled sky with this plantiff look--as if he were howling at the moon. The words were OUT OF THE DEEP, DARK JUNGLES OF VIETNAM COMES THE CRY OF THE SNOOPY DOG 'HOT DAMN I'M HORNY'. All the things I gave to Bill Beckett--the ChiCom gernades--the Montonyard bows and arrows--the SKS bayonet--the blood-smeared NVA web gear and helmet--he donated it all eventually to the Seabee Museum at Port Hueneme, California. Just a passing thought--I wander in and out of Vietnam all the time--sometimes it is pleasant, and find myself grinning like and old Cheshire Cat. wilborn sends.

dap22
Senior Chief Moderator II
(5/10/01 9:22:20 am)
Homer.....it was always impossible to figure where the friendlies began an ended covering over a mile a minute in the air. But yes, the power of adrenalin is unbelievable.

Mithrandir
(5/10/01 10:05:16 am)
Thanks Homer4.... I have long forgotten that movie....a classic....

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.