A word of advise for contractors in Sandy's path

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cycloneman, Oct 30, 2012.

1. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

If you are a contractor and looking to cash in on the rebuild?

Words of advise.

It will be a while before the fed money gets flowing. YOu will be aggravated while you wait. Then all of a sudden it will be there. You will hear amounts that will amaze you. You may hear a check for 100 billion dollars is headed your way. That will be nothing. What ever they throw at it in the beggening will dry out as fast as it came. I have seen this each and every time there is a storm like this. I see contractors make good money fast and reinvest in more trucks, and equiptment. Dont fall into that trap. Everyone I have seen do this only breaks even at best. When you feel like things are really going good and your really making money it is time to get out. YOu must keep in touch with other contractors and keep a good line of communications open with them. Once you start to hear of problems, run.

Dont do any added work without a change order. In times like this it is very easy for officials to tell you to do this and that and you will get paid. BS.

You will need all your safety stuff in place and ready to go. Your working for the govt. The govt will have personnell that dont know squat overseeing you, your materials, and equiptement. They are by the book, no deviations. Paperwork, if your not good with it and dont originaze will your gona pay for it.

Finally the govener will make his by the general contractor that will sign the contract. The GC is gona make a crapload of money. Get over it, dont let it bother you. You are not on that level.

Finally there will be more money later. It may take a year but more will come and you will see projects rebuilding these structures for years to come. Dont get stuck.

CM

As far as home owners go with insurance claims, dont even get me started. I dont do any residential work.
  2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Member

funny, i would grab any public funded job i could get. made way more than the private sector. it all depends on how you word your contract, and yes in jersey you do have say in how it's written. but like you say, don't get greedy and play by the rules and you'll be fine. as with anything there are con artist GC's and public officials out there. especially in resort towns. keep that in mind going in