a5 broken down

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by jerry choate, Jan 31, 2011.

1. jerry choate

jerry choate New Member

Need some HELP carrier finger goes up but will not go back down without a little help.Carrier spring or what PLEASE SHINE SOME LIGHT ON THIS
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Jerry , i assume you mean the A5 Browning shotgun ?

i cant figure what part you refer too i'll post these and let me know what part your talking about ..

Attached Files:

• A5 1.jpg
      A5 1.jpg
      File size:
      275.5 KB
      Views:
    • A5 2.jpg
      A5 2.jpg
      File size:
      434.7 KB
      Views:
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

as a side note the carrier assembly piece 2 ( P011064) often gets a carbon build up in it and can block the link from seating correctly , it all shold be bright shiny metal but can look like its dark metal ... this is really carbon and crude , clean well and retry
  4. jerry choate

jerry choate New Member

the part i was asking about was carrier spring trigger plate.Thank for the imfor.I will clean the part you listed. thanks
  5. jerry choate

jerry choate New Member

a5 broken

Dear jack the part I was asking about was 11107 carrier spring trigger plate Will clean the parts you list. thanks
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That spring is intended as a carrier detent, to keep the carrier up or down depending on the action at the moment; the carrier is intended to stay in one place, up or down, until it is moved. Now let me see if I remember.

When the gun is fired, the bolt comes back and trips the dog, which raises the carrier. The carrier has to stay in the up position, with a shell on it. As the bolt comes forward, it chambers the shell on the carrier, then the link trips the dog forward and drops the carrier to pick up the next shell. Again, the carrier has to stay down until it is raised.

So it sounds like the carrier is working the way it should out of the gun, staying up until forced down and vice versa. Cleaning never hurts, but dirt or carbon seldom affects that operation as the parts are big and well out of the way of most firing crud.

Jim
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

ok i gave you a bum steer , that plate is like a spring and the tension can get weak , if you put a 8 oz weight on it it should compress or close no more than 3/64" according to what i remember but here that model is illegal now ( Gun control ) but was the most popular model auto Shotty here and i had a couple myself

there is a browning shotgun book ( sold that ) that has it in the maintinance section

maybe google can find it or a call to your browning reseller to double check what i said , (please do 16 years since i played with one ) best of luck eh
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It is a spring; the nomenclature makes more sense if read as "trigger plate carrier spring", a carrier spring that goes on the trigger plate, trigger plate being the name given the trigger guard.

Jim
  9. jerry choate

jerry choate New Member

a5 broken

the main spring screw was missing thanks everyone
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Re: a5 broken

That'd do it Jerry glad you got it sorted