AAA: Government Mandated 15% Ethanol Blend Damages Engines

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by montezumaz, Dec 1, 2012.

1. montezumaz

montezumaz Former Guest

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog...d_ethanol_blend_damages_engines_says_aaa.html

The AAA says the Environmental Protection Agency and gasoline retailers should halt the sale of E15, a new ethanol blend that could damage millions of vehicles and void car warranties. AAA, which issued its warning today, says just 12 million of more than 240 million cars, trucks and SUVs now in use have manufacturers' approval for E15. Flex-fuel vehicles, 2012 and newer General Motors vehicles, 2013 Fords and 2001 and later model Porsches are the exceptions, according to AAA, the nation's largest motorist group, with 53.5 million members. "It is clear that millions of Americans are unfamiliar with E15, which means there is a strong possibility that many may improperly fill up using this gasoline and damage their vehicle," AAA President and CEO Robert Darbelnet tells USA TODAY. "Bringing E15 to the market without adequate safeguards does not responsibly meet the needs of consumers."
    Gasoline blended with 10% ethanol has become standard at most of the nation's 160,000 gas stations, spurred by federal laws and standards designed to use more renewable energy sources and lessen the nation's dependence on foreign oil. Pushed by ethanol producers, the EPA approved the use of E15 ... a 15% ethanol-gasoline blend ... in June over objections from automakers and the oil industry. It's been available at a handful of outlets in Kansas, Iowa and Nebraska since July. EPA stickers affixed to gas station pumps say E15 is safe for use in virtually all vehicles 2001 and newer. (USA TODAY made repeated requests for EPA comment.) But AAA ... in an unusual warning for a travel organization ... says the sale and use of E15 should be stopped until there is more-extensive testing, better pump labels to safeguard consumers and more consumer education about potential hazards.
    - Rick Moran
  2. btown

btown Member

I have observed over the years , that most of the time when the government tries to solve a problem, the problem gets bigger.
  3. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

You're going to see more and more of this "save the planet" bs. Especially after the "Sustainability" conference in Dubai this month. EPA is a huge supporter of that agenda, and biofuels are a large part of it. Oil is evil, corn is good. :banghead::AR15firing:

EPA Sustainability : http://www.epa.gov/sustainability/

Dubai Conference: http://unfccc.int/meetings/doha_nov_2012/meeting/6815.php
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  4. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  5. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

ethanol is the devil!

supposed to only have up to 10% at most places, an independent study by someone on the east coast found that some stations were selling gas with as high as 27% !!!!

that crap kills engines (unless you have a flex-fuel of course) and drastically reduces power and fuel economy.

My 5vz engine in the late 90's was rated at 19/23mpgs, later in early 2000's, exact same motor and controls/emissons, etc... was 17/21. hmmmm.... it was because of the increase in ethanol me thinks.

now methanol on the other hand, very good for engines! I bought a 55 gallon drum of the stuff to feed my Toyotas, it ups the mpg's incredibly well not to mention develops tons more power. also cleans the engine vs. ethanol gumming up everything.

death to ethanol, it should all be used for drinking, not feeding our engines.
  6. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

ethanol is an oxadizer. Most engine parts, like the heads and some blocks, are aluminum.
    oxadiser and aluminum, bad idea.
  7. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

8. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

This shouldn't come as any surprise, every time those blithering idiots decree something it turns into sh**. The only motivation these B.I.s have is the kick back money they receive for mandating that ethanol is to be blended with gasoline. Then out comes the argument that "it reduces our dependence on foreign oil", drilling for our own oil does the same thing, plus it better for the enviroment, and you're not burning a source of food with a government mandated and highly subsidized comodity.
  9. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I dunno I get 30 to 31 mpg no matter where I get gas. My car has 140k+ on it doesn't burn or leak oil. Doesn't smoke and will run to 100mph as fast as you can mash the peddle to the floor.
  10. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

My gut reaction is that politicians have invested heavily in ethanol stock and don't know or care what it's effect will be on cars. As my doctor said when I asked him what he thought about Obamacare. He said that he didn't know all the facts yet, but if the government had any hand in it, it wouldn't work!
  11. medalguy

medalguy Member

My new Expedition is a flex-fuel car, but I don't run any of that 15% ethanol stuff, and don't see any reason why I should. From all I've read, it has less energy per gallon, so it takes more of it to get the same power out of my truck. So the lower price is a joke because when you figure that you're using more of a less expensive product, the real cost is about the same. And considering the problems that ethanol causes, where's the advantage?

Oh, I forgot, ethanol makes the tree huggers get a warm and fuzzy feeling inside. Well go swallow a chipmunk then. It'll give you the same feelling.
  12. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

It's about money, and the corn growers have a very powerful lobby along with the greenies.
    It's been hokum from the start, even at 10%.
  13. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Ha! Gonna have to steal that line and use it, freakin' hilarious!!

I'm not worried about saving the planet, it's already screwed. I think it's hilarious that all the crunchies up here are recycling gum wrappers and crap but in the south they still use styrofoam everywhere and have little to no recycling many places. Why don't the seattle crunchies fly down the Georgia or somewhere in the south and make an actual difference?

Or the idiots that drive their smart cars or electric cars with a bumper sticker "save the planet" or whatever. What the hell do you think happened to the gas guzzler you got rid of? it didn't just go away, someone is still driving it! and you're driving a car still, you're not saving the planet.

Whatever makes 'em feel good I guess...
  14. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

The planet has gotten along just fine for the past 4.5 billion years. What they are worried about is their own pathetic life, and feeding their ego. They ignore the facts of strip mining and enormous toxic lakes of radioactive sludge that is required to produce those "environmentally friendly" cars and windmills. They are card carrying members of the culture of hypocrisy. :mad::mad:
  15. marlin795

marlin795 New Member

Calvary Chapel Conference Center; Murrieta,CA
    I have an aluminum V6 in my pickup. I moved from Cali to Oregon for 4 months this year and used their gas, I'm now losing water in the block, have ticking rockers, and lost my 22MPG's to 17. Could 4 months of using it have messed up my engine that quick?