AAA: Government Mandated 15% Ethanol Blend Damages Engines

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by montezumaz, Dec 1, 2012.

1. zachp

zachp New Member

I was having terrible trouble with this and it gumming up the engines. Had a small engine shop tell me to start using high test gas to run in the mower to stop it. It has worked and I am also now a firm believer in Sta-bil, I have gas that has been in the garage for a couple months and still runs like good gas.
  2. marlin795

marlin795 New Member

Calvary Chapel Conference Center; Murrieta,CA
    90 Ford Ranger 2.9L V6. No that's what I thought too. But oil is fin. I think it's just going straight out the tailpipe. I just replaced my head gasket's and valve covers. I do know my radiator has a small crack but not big enough at the rate water disappears.
  3. tango1niner

tango1niner New Member

Blame Chuck Schumer and Diane Feinstein
  4. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

ah, gotcha. a buddy of mine has the same motor in his, messed with 'em a little bit. At least it's a fairly simple engine to work on, seen some engine bays that I wouldn't dare touch anything, too crowded!

Try O2 sensor (pre-cat), something that drastic of a change is from something not working right, not fuel. O2 sensors are frequently ignored, they're really only good for about 75k miles or so. I picked up almost 4mpg's on my old 4runner just by replacing the sensor!

looks like about a $45 part for your truck.
  5. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

oh, and stick with Denso for sensor brand, avoid bosch and the other cheapies
  6. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

ay idea if e15 could be causing dirty throttle body assemblies.

I never rememebring having to clean TB's as much as I do now ? or probably unrelated?
  7. al45lc

al45lc New Member

Because it is hygroscopic, ethanol 'pulls' in whatever the moisture has in it.
    Water attracts dust, dirt and micro-organisms, ethanol attracts water, and presto!, crap gas.
    This isn't a problem for newer systems which are sealed or pressurized, but older systems and gravity fed systems will suffer.
    As I stated, ethanol was NEVER a good idea, and it's benefits are in fact, unproven in a purely scientific view.
    The reason we have cleaner air is because of higher effiency vehicles and other fuel additives as well as catalytic converters and so on.
    Ethanol's part of the equation is bogus, and poppycock.
  8. Millwright

Millwright Active Member

Marlin 795,

Pity you didn't note what brand//model pickup. Lots of reason for the symptoms you describe ! If your's is a Ford and has the mid-size V-6, suspect the intake manifold coolant runner. OTOH crappy fuel can attack your engine internally via detonation causing head gasket leaks. This could/will result in coolant in your oil. And expensive repairs. >MW
  9. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

If you're getting fuel in your TB, you've got bigger problems! :eek:

unless you have a 7th/9th injector...
  10. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

not fuel.. but combustion byproducts perhaps?