Abilene SA ???

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by RimfireRat, Nov 21, 2006.

1. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

Anyone know what these are worth ? They were marketed by Mossberg back in the late 70s to early 80s in a Blue and Magnaloy (brushed chrome) finish in .357, 44mag and 45LC in three different bbl lenghts. they seem to really hard to find. How do they stand up against the Ruger or Colt SA. [​IMG] [​IMG] I saw these on an auction. looking for input. --JMJ--
  2. BIGBOOMER

BIGBOOMER New Member

I haven't seen one of these for a while, but several years back I used to see them fairly often. It seems their quality control was not too good as some of them would be really nice and others kind of shoddy. I don't believe there is any collector value on these (I could be wrong) so their value would be as a shooter. Since they are no longer made and parts availability could be a problem, I would think that even a nice one would bring somewhat less than a comparable Ruger.
    Best regards, BIGBOOMER
  3. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

I inquired to the NMCA (National Mossberg Collecters Association) as Mossberg marketed them as to info. and was told all they knew of were in collections. It appears there is some collectable following . I was looking for these for 5-6 yrs and these are the first I found on auction. There don't seem to be many in circulation. Some one is hanging on to them. I'd like to find a nice 45LC some day. The early ones were made in Riverhead NY later moved to no Haven CT. Maybe this accounted for quality controll?? I'm trying to research these and little is known. --JMJ--
  4. Goody

Goody Member

Get a copy of "The Standard Catalog of Firearms"(Schwing). There are 3 full pages covering these under the heading United Sporting Arms.
  5. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

:D Funny I have that book, they covered alot on the United Sporting Arms branch, mine are from the United States Arms (AIG) production . the No Haven Ct. guns. was interesting reading the scattetred history of them. THX,--JMJ--
  6. BIGBOOMER

BIGBOOMER New Member

Yes, I have that book, too. Interesting that for all the attention they give the Seville branch, they don't even give any values for the Abilenes. I did look in a couple of other sources, and they valued the Abilene about the same as the Ruger, and the Sevilles about 50% higher.
    It was interesting also that the Std. Cat. said that the Abilene dropped the transfer bar in favor of some sort of hammer block. All of the Abilenes that I have seen had the transfer block. I once had a 6.5" blued Seville in 45 Colt and it was a very nice sixgun. I liked the fact that it (and the Abilenes, too) retained the halfcock position on the hammer, ala Colt, and therefore, unlike the New Model Ruger, indexed the cylinder for loading/unloading so that the chambers lined up with the loading port and ejector rod. I would have probably bought an Abilene if a nice one in 44 Mag. had come along with a 4.75" bbl, but all the decent ones I ran into had a 7.5" bbl. I understand Ruger has finally addressed the cylinder/loading port problem on the new Vaqueros, and I hope that they will apply that new technology to the Blackhawk/Bisley lines and also maybe offer a backfit to the existing ones. :)
    Best regards, BIGBOOMER
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  7. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

BIGBOOMER~!~~ Both mine have the hammer block? for lack of a better word. [​IMG] the half cock position allows free rotation of the cylinder. The trigger has very little creep and breaks cleanly. Now these are the first SA pistols I owned.(don't ask why?) I did notice on the 7 1/2" blue one (like the blue way better) that there seemed to be a scond catch real close to the half cock notch. When in this position the cylinder seems to either lock out of positions for ejecting spent cases or will allow the rotation with tension ( not freely) When I hit the correct notch she spins like a top. Now the trigger on the 7.5" This is wierd , the creep seems to go to a set notch feeling, when this happens the hammer moves fwd ever so slightly and stops.From this postion the triggers breaks super clean with no creep. I am not familar with the workings on the SA pistols and wonder if this one had been worked.I'm trying to chase down some Abilene addicts for info on the North Haven guns as trhese are both U S ARMS --AIG -div. No.Haven guns. Any ideas on the different triggers. Regards,--Jim-- JMJ--
  8. BIGBOOMER

BIGBOOMER New Member

Sorry to have taken so long to get back to your on this. This past week has been extremely hectic and has kept me away from the computer.
    Come to think of it, I have seen one Abilene with a hammer ignition setup such as yours. This was not actually a hammer block, but rather a pivoting transfer bar built into the hammer. The early ones I have seen had a transfer bar similar to the New Model Blackhawk Rugers, as did the Sevilles. The Abilenes and Sevilles all had a halfcock notch for loading/unloading, and no safety notch, as one was not necessary. The notches on the hammer of your 7.5 incher are not normal and, from your description, probably dangerous! The hammer and trigger of your 7.5" Abilene have been damaged, either by would-be "gunsmith" trying to do a "trigger Job", or by abuse, or both. I would take that gun to a qualified pistolsmith ASAP. Although I couldn't tell for sure without disassembling the gun and examining it, my guess is that you will need a new hammer and trigger. I don't know if Mossberg still has a parts inventory on the Abilenes, somehow I doubt it. There are a few guys who do the gun world's version of a wrecking yard and sell gun parts by mail and/or at gun shows. First find out from your gunsmith what, if any parts you need, and then proceed from there. He may possibly be able to repair the old parts. Good luck!
    Best regards, BIGBOOMER