About ammo and .22 AR conversion kits

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by critterdoc, Feb 23, 2010.

1. critterdoc

critterdoc New Member

First fired a new lightly lubed CMMG Stainless Steel conversion kit in a 5.56 Daniel Defense M4 (1:7 twist) with moderate success after the notched hammer was replaced with a rounded hammer. Approximately 1-in-15 feed failures occurred due to apparent extraction failure while shooting CCC mini-mag and Federal ammo that I traded for at a local gun some years ago.

I purchased the conversion kit hoping that I can sweet-talk my honey into joining me in a more comfortable outdoor target shooting experience without the crash/bang of the .223/5.56 and now Me thinks this thing could be addictive, but I need some help selecting ammo!

I found one reference online suggesting that Aguila SSS Sniper Subsonic Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 60 Grain Lead Round Nose might be best. However I found another quote that stated "The 60gr Aguilla ruptured a couple of cases out of the first five shots so I don't mess with that out of my semi auto 22s."

What brand of .22 LR ammo do you folks recommend for AR conversion kits with high twist barrels - such as 1:7, and do you prefer lead or plated bullets?

Doc