about an h&r .32 ctge pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dervilstwin2000, Oct 3, 2010.

1. dervilstwin2000

dervilstwin2000 New Member

i have an h&r .32 cal. auto eject large frame pistol with the pat. dates of 8 6, 1889 and oct. 8, 1895 with auto ejecting 32 s&w ctge. on left side of barrel it was made between 1909 and 1912 i think i need any information anyone would have on it and if it takes 32 short 32 long or magnum or 32 north american shells it is in good shape but need to know which amunition all seriel # match thank you for any help u can give me
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the caliber of this revolver is only 32 S&W or 32 S&W Long.

they were not designed for any other 32 caliber cartridge.
    bill
  3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

You only need to post your question on one forum, duplicate entries only confuse the issue.:)
  4. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Confused me too.....

Anyway, if it is a 32S&WL it can serve as a last ditch gun if it shoots good. I just tested some 32S&WL 98 grain SJHP from my nagant a couple days ago. It has the same 'power' as the factory nagant ammo (maybe a little bit more), is more accurate and has the same performance as the 32ACP but with a heavier bullet.

After I saw the accuracy of this load from my 1895 Nagant I quickly put this gun and load into cargun service. Perfect for the taking of small game and will not be a big loss if it gets stolen or ruined in an accident.......
  5. mrmiller92054

mrmiller92054 New Member

I have a 32 ctge with no name or pat stamped anywhere all it says is Victor 32S&W ctge on top. The underside of the pistol grip has a serial number of 8-8739. Can anyone tell me who made the gun and around what time. It is a 5 shot double action pull pin.
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

mrmiller -
    The "VICTOR" line was Harrington & Richardson's (H&R) catalogue/hardware store brand name line. There were three size frames based upon H&R named models. Bill G.'s research seemed to indicate production of this line ran from around 1913 into the late 1920's or so - they didn't show up in the catalogues so it's difficult to accurately date any individual piece.
    The 5 shot .32 cal. was based upon the YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION medium frame, .32 5 shooter.. Differences were: unfluted cylinder and round barrel and, as you noted, lack of identifiers - until late in production, when the manufacturer's info was stamped into the butt strap.
    Your serial number should probably be 88739 - it fits into the series of the pieces in my collection.
    Here's a pic. of a Nickel plated piece and a blued piece - they surround your serial number.

IMG_1148_2.jpg