? about Colt 1878DA

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Goody, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Goody

Goody Member

Morning folks. My first time posting here, so be gentle.

My question is about the 1878 DA Colt. There is one in a local pawn shop that has me intrigued. It is a 7 1/2 inch, 45 cal, nickle, in good to VG condition. It has a period belt and holster that accompanies it, no makers mark seen.

Now in the limited info I have been able to find these were all a birdshead grip. Yet this one has a grip that closely resembles a SAA. All the markings are consistant with a Colt. The nickle is in great condition, no flaking, looking more like an older silver plate the way it has dulled out. The nickle on the barrel and the overall age look the same as the rest of the gun, so I don't think it is a rebarrel of a Belgian copy.

Did Colt ever make this model with the "Plow Handle" grip?

Thanks for your responses.
  2. punchie

punchie Member

Not that I know of. The top one is a 1902 Alaskan/Philipines version of the 1878, the bottom one is a Thunderer
    [​IMG]
  3. stash247

stash247 New Member

Never have seen a DA in an but a 'bird's head' grip; few original pieces would/will lock up, reliably, owing to failure of the bolt spring, and cam, IIRC.
    Suggest you cock the revolver in question, then attempt to turn the cylinder, hammer back; if it turns, you are buying an expensive project, not a firearm.
  4. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

If you are in Wichita; it is a replate and the holster and belt weren't there when I looked at it. Timing ain't too good either. Even if not the one I'm thinking of, there are many monkeys running about the US that are more than happy to rip you a good one.
  5. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome Goody. I personally have not seen one with those particular grips
  6. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Goody........welcome to TFF.

I've never seen or heard of a "plow handle" Colt DA, and Flayderman makes no mention of one. Are you sure it's a DA and not a Bisley?
  7. Goody

Goody Member

Thanks for the replies so far.

Yes, I am sure that it is a model 1878, or a copy of one. Had a 1902 Alaskan for a brief while. I am familiar with the model 1877 and its reliabilty problems. I looked in Flaydermans, the Standard Catalog of Firearms, and the Blue Book. I have searched on the internet and not been able to come up with any clues either. I did see a book that is available, all about the 1878. But at a cover price of $99 and going for $55 on Amazon I was hoping to find someone who knew without investing in the book.

No, not Wichita, I haven't been there since I stopped flying model airplanes about 10 years ago. It is a bit south of there, I live in the DFW Metromess.

I guess I will try an email to Colt on Monday, if anyone is home.

Thanks again, by the way, great sight! Lots of good info being exchanged.