? about cordite loads

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by soundguy, May 31, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

question.. were cordite loads ( like say.. 303 brit ) were they loaded by weight of the cordite pieces ( grains? ) or were they loaded by volume ( length of a particular diameter cordite straw.

also.. was the cordite loaded into the brass before it was sized and necked, ie.. while still straight wall?

thanks

soundguy
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

This link covers the Cordite subject well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordite

Before WW II (and somewhat beyond) propellant manufacture (and a lot of other things) was not as consistent as they are today, because of technology shortfalls. Nitro propellants typically had a greater batch to batch variance than is typical today. A batch of powder that met certain chemical and performance characteristics would be marked as "Canister Lot" for sale to small, custom ammo makers and the retail reloading public. Other powders that were made and intended to be for example "Bullseye or Unique", but did not meet "Canister Lot" specifications, would be sold to large ammo makers with a manufacturer's lab report for the batch. The large ammo maker (that had pressure test and chronograph equipment) would then have to determine the appropriate uses and charges for the batch of powder involved.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

So far as I understand Cordite came in sticks and was stuffed into the case and had a bullet jammed on top of it. Alot like BP, except the Cordite was somewhat smokeless and came in compressed sticks.
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

sound guy no they loaded then as we load now
    case completed
    then primed
    then loaded
    and projectile added and crimped
  5. soundguy

only reson I asked is because I pulled some 303 and the cordite was. well.. packed in soooo tight that it could not be extracted from the necked down case mouth/throat.

a couple had cracked brass / seperating heads.. thus I pulled the cordite out the back... guess mybee I could have use tweezers and damaged it extracting it out the case mouth.. but it was packed in their tight..that's why i wondered about the neck formation before / aftrer.

thanks
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

as it absorbs moisture it expands , absorbing water is not good ..
  7. soundguy

neat lil bit of history I read said that cordite was used in one of triggers for the nukes we hit with in ww2.. dunno if it was lilboy or not.. but am thinking it was.
  8. soundguy

that must be it. the cases I pulled were cracked... that answers it.. thanks.

i was wondering how they got that much cordite into that small hole without deforming the sticks..
  9. medalguy

medalguy Member

My understanding is that the cordite sticks were loaded into straight walled .303 cases and a cardboard disc placed on top of the powder, then the case was necked and sized to receive the bullet. If you look closely inside the case, you will probably see the cardboard disc. It's larger than the bullet diameter, so it couldn't be set in place if the case were already necked down.

And the case neck splitting is probably just age cracking of brittle brass. I don't think it would absorb sufficient moisture to have the pressure to do that.
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

like this ?

[​IMG]