? about eastern arms revolver

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by falonseve, Feb 25, 2007.

1. falonseve

falonseve New Member

I HAVE A REVOLVER I WAS HOPING SOMEONE MIGHT BE ABLE TO GIVE ME A SOME INFORMATION ABOUT IT. IT SAYS EASTERN ARMS CO. HAS THE NUMBER 26230 AND A 4.. (THE NUMBER 4 IS SLIGHTLY SMALLER THAN THE OTHER NUMBERS. BLACK GRIPS. I AM ASSUMING IT IS BY IVER JOHNSON BUT THAT IS ALL THE INFORMATION I KNOW ABOUT IT. IF ANYONE CAN TELL ME WHAT TYPE OF AMMO IT USES OR ANY ADDT. INFO IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRICIATED.
    THANKS......
  2. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Welcome falonseve,

First off,let's see if you can find your caps lock key and not shout so loud. Thank you.

Is the revolver marked Iver Johnson or is that just a supposition on your part? Also if you would be able to post a picture of it would be very helpful.

I'm sure one of the experts will show up soon an be able to help you.

Welcome aboard TFF.
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi falonseve......welcome to TFF. :)

EASTERN ARMS CO. was a tradename used by Sears Roebuck & Company on revolvers made by Meriden Firearms.

Meriden Arms was actually owned by Sears, and manufactured a line of top-break revolvers and shotguns in the 1905 to 1920 timeframe.

The Meriden revolvers closely resembled the Iver Johnson revolvers of the time because the plant manager at Meriden, Andrew Fryberg, had previously worked for Iver Johnson.

The caliber of your revolver should be marked on the barrel, but most of these revolvers were made in .32 S&W and .38 S&W.
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

i would like to add a little to what has been posted. this concerns safety. even though the meriden handguns were manufactured after smokeless powder became popular they were manufactured of malleable iron and not steel. in my opinion all meriden handguns should be retired and not fired. meriden also manufactured a line of utility grade single barrel shotguns that were actually manufactured to a higher standard than their handguns.
    bill
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

i must stress bills concern (good lookin' out bro.) firing modern ammunition in a firearm of that integrity could result in disaster. follow the warning on the ammo box that states "use ammunition only in modern weapons and clearly marked for the caliber you are using" i would hate to hear of your demise in such a manner, not to mention the destruction of a piece of our rich and fruitful firearms history and evolution. albeit a modest one.
  6. The Rifleman

The Rifleman Former Guest

My only reply to that is that the .32 S&W did not have alot of power and would not blow apart guns.

I have a Smith and Wesson .32 that shoots the shorts and it make more noise than anything else.

It was never very accurate - even when it was new.

My great grandmother used it to scare away chicken thiefs.
  7. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

my only reply to rifleman is i am glad it is you and not me 32 S&W smokeless ammo will and does harm revolvers chambered for black powder cartridge pressures. i have some to prove it.
    bill
  8. tug911

tug911 New Member

I have a hand gun with the name of Eastern Arms Co. stamped on the top of the barrel and a serial number of # 5982,my father had this gun and when he passed away my step mother gave it to me with no information about the gun or it's origin. I've attached a couple pictures and was wondering if anybody could give me any infomation about the gun.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Attached Files:

9. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

mike
    information on this one revolver will never be known unless it been in one family since it was purchased new, and has papers to prove that. the story about 'eastern arms' revolvers in general has been stated in the earlier post of this thread. summary of that information; made by meriden arms sold by sears roebuck & co. in the wwI era not of best quality.

even in excellent condition i would not fire one of these revolver for fear of harming them. great keepsakes but not one to be used with todays ammo.
    bill
  10. Eastern Arms co.

Eastern Arms co. New Member

I have a Eastern Arms co. .32 revolver. My email address is calebtripp12@yahoo.com. I need info on it. I know its crome and has scroll work designs. Thanks.
  11. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Mr. Eastern Arms Co. Please read the posts above yours for infomation on your Eastern arms. Value, maybe 100 dollars