1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

? about incendiary ammo

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by cycloneman, Nov 18, 2009.

1. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I was at a gun show many years ago and saw some 308's labeled incendiary. What does this ammo do and how is it used?

I was under the impression it was used or could be used to light fuel.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Your impression would be correct. It burns phosphorus ( sp??) and it gets very very hot. They also consume large amounts of oxygen. Depending on the caliber, uses differ. 308 would probably be used against light armored vehicles and defensive troop positions. 20mm is used in many fighters for AA combat.
  3. Gearheadpyro

Gearheadpyro New Member

Mythbusters actually did a show on that. It failed miserably. I don't take mythbusters seriously on much, but they do like to blow things up, so I give them a little more credit when it comes to explosions and fire.

They determined that there is not enough oxygen in a fuel tank to allow the fuel to ignite. Then only luck they had was when the tank was nearly empty, they got a little bit of a puff out of it.

Might do better if a the tank is shot, the fuel leaks out, then the fuel was ignited maybe? Just theorizing.
  4. medalguy

medalguy Member

It will also start fires in wood and grass.:rolleyes:
  5. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I did a search and found some. expensive.
  6. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

It's another one of those things that really doesn't have a purpose for any normal gun people. They were developed to make it easier for machine gunners to see where they were hitting. It's easier to see tracer fire at night than puffs of dirt at night.... But for us it's one of those "I bought it just to see what it does things." Like shooting soda cans. No purpose, just fun.....
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

It doesn't have to be incendiary ammo to start a fire in grass land!

We went to an RV park years ago that had an open range backed up by a grassy hillside in the back. The dirt berm at normal shooting angles never let the bullets reach the hill but some dummy using steel cored ammo had to shot at the rock on the hillside. A spark started a small little fire that in five minutes covered the hillside. Before anyone could get to it to put it out that hillside and the adjacent ones were fully ablaze. We got bus loads of fire fighters, Borate bombers, the whole deal. This was all in less than 30 minutes. They were still fighting the fire when we felt it safer to leave.

LDBennett
  8. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

That must be one dry place you live in, LD. That doesn't happen here in New York. YOu almost have to try hard to start a fire like that. Usually with an actual fire...
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Without irrigation you could not grow anything in the greater Southern California area and that's where this occurred. It is indeed dry here and where this took place. The hills were dried up grass covered with virtually no trees. Most of Southern California is desert like in climate.

The first time I went back east what amazed me more than anything were the miles and miles of trees. Cities in the south were nothing more than clearings in the forests. The midwest was much like that too. Southern California only has large groves of trees in some of the forests but most of the lower mountains and hills are scrub brush and dead grass covered anytime after about May. A lot of rain in the LA area is more than 10 inches a year. About five years ago a fire in the the San Bernardino Mountains just south of my home swooped down out of the hills and caused my neighbor hood to have to be evacuated (it got to within a mile of my house and they stopped it). We don't have those huge fires in So Cal every year because it is wet! Remember we just had fires all the way from just outside of San Diego all the way into the Sierras west of Bakersfield and really, we can have them anywhere in this dry state. All the water that Los Angeles uses is delivered in an aqueduct system from either the San Francisco Bay area or from the Sierras over 200 miles away. We are dry, dry, dry.

LDBennett
  10. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

I like my greenery. Your description reminds me of Cabo San Lucas except for there's even less vegetation in Cabo. I loved cabo, but only as a vacation spot. I think that heat would get to me after awhile if I lived there. Though the fishing might make up for it and the glass smooth water in the gulf was nice too.
  11. zb338

zb338 New Member

There is a difference between incendiary and tracer. Tracers are used to
    see where you are hitting if you are shooting a machine gun. Usually every
    fifth round is a tracer. Incendiary is used to burn things. When it hits it lays
    there and burns. They even have (had?) armor piercing incendiary which
    penetrates and burns.
    Zeke
  12. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

YOu're right. I forgot about that.
  13. bizy

bizy New Member

I have 308 tracers. They are cool to watch go down range. Other than that, they don't serve any other purpose. The tracers I have are military surplus, (I think)....