? about reloaded stored ammo

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by cycloneman, Feb 24, 2012.

1. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Take a 50cal ammo can full of reloads, any cal doesn't matter

Now take a 50 cal can full of factory or mil surp ammo, any cal doesnt' matter

Lets say you take both cans and store them away for a year. Come back a year later and open the reloaded ammo can and you can smell the powder. Open the factory stuff and you usually dont.

My first thought is that i am not sealing my bullets.
    I seal my primers but not my bullets. Should i be sealing them for long term storage? If so what is the best way and product to use.
  2. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

They sell a product for this clone, but I would think a lacquer or nail polish would work ok also. Just need to make sure you get a seal I believe. Unless someone knows better I would go for the cheapest thing I could find.
  3. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Thats a good question,It will be interesting to hear the answer.I store my powder in my closet where its warm and dry but I reload in the garage where its cooler then I bring ammo inside as well.
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've never sealed primers or the bullets, never thought to do it. I just "store" my reloads in those 50 or 100 round plastic boxes. I occasionally run across a box of various calibers that may be over ten years old. I take it to the range and shoot it never anticipating any problems and have never had any. But I am not stocking ammo for any purpose other than range use.
  5. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I had reloaded some military surplus cases long ago, then I started seating that load a little deeper. When I went to seat the some of the old cartridge bullets a bit deeper, they felt glued tight and made a snap when they broke free.

I figured it was some sort of glue for if they handle the ammo carelessly, the bullets would stay seated correctly.

I have seen red sealant on the primers of surplus ammo, I've heard of people using fingernail polish as a sealant for primers.
  6. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I have used nail polish to seal good stuff! As far as the ammo powder smell i have never had any problems with that. I do notice that old ammo can smell. That smell is something that i smell when i open some of them old sardean cans of ammo from the military surplus as well. so i would not worry to much IMO.
  7. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

Any ammo that I don't plan to use relatively soon gets sealed up in the vacuum sealer, usually 50 round bags for pistol ammo, whatever is decided for rifle ammo. I write the date and load on the inside of the bag before it gets sealed (won't rub off that way). I also try to limit skin contact with ammo that I'm not loading into a gun. This keeps the oils from your fingers off and limits the tarnishing. I have bags several years old, still look and function like I just loaded it. And when I open one of the cans, all you smell is the can. The FoodSaver ain't just for deer steaks.
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have never sealed a primer or a bullet. I have some that I reloaded 20-25 years ago and every one of them go bang. I also store mine in military ammo cans.

Out of curiosity, I just opened several of the cans so I could smell of them. The only one that I could smell anything, other than a musty smell, was a can of surplus 7.62X25 ammo. That can had a slight sell of gunpowder!
  9. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have a partial can of Bulseye and a partial can of Unique that I have had opned for at least 10 years. I have done it on purpose. I open them periodically and check them. They are fine. I keep them in my garage year round with no problems.
  10. mikld

mikld Active Member

I haven't used sealer on my any of my reloads. I have some .44 Magnum and .357/.38 Special ammo I loaded in '95 that still shoots OK. I store all my ammo in surplus ammo boxes and haven't noticed the smell you describe (newly loaded ot several years old). But as noted above, nail polish or modle car paint will surely work.
  11. medalguy

medalguy Member

You're comparing reloads to commercial ammo, but please note that commercial ammo is almost NEVER sealed, either primers or bullets. Military ammo is usually always sealed to keep moisture out. I wouldn't worry about the smell.
  12. Boogieman

Boogieman Member

I've shot ammo loaded in the mid 70's with no sealers .had no problems Wife found 3 38 spc. shot loads in the washer came out of HER pockets they were loaded with Speer shot caps. & hadwent through the wash & rinse cycle. I put them in my ruger to destory the primers suprise all 3 fired.
  13. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

That reminds me of this test.

The Box O' Truth #39 - Oil Vs. Primers - Page 1

He tested to see if penetrating oils would seep into the case through the primer and case gap. Soaking for 5 weeks didn't kill the primers using Winchester White Box 9mm ammo.
  14. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

That was intresting! Thanks for the imfo.
  15. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

I deliberately put away reloaded ammo for my 5.56 in '85, I opened and chrony-ed some of it two years ago ('10 ). No problems. It was stored in ziplock bags in a .50 cal miitary ammo box in my basement. No sealers or dissecant was used. I also just recently used 20 year old Red Dot for some reloads, they worked fine. Proper storage is the key.