About to buy an 1877 Colt Lightning DA Engraved Nickle .41 LC

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Smokin_Gun, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Smokin_Gun

Smokin_Gun New Member

This Colt is in xtra good condition and has a Colt letter with it found it on consignment at a gunshop in another County. I have it down to $1500 + $123.75 sales tax.
    I have seen all kinds of prices on it and most all are not in as good condition as this one. I have no pics unless I go buy it Monday.
    Does anyone think the price is out of range that would stop me from the purchase, or know a dollar value of the 1877 Colt Lightning .41Long Colt 4 1/2" bbl, Ivory Grips,fully engraved and all nickle is there, plus a letter from Colt?
    Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    :cool:
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I'm not much of a colt expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I do have what the blue book of gun values has it listed as if you dont already know?

EDIT: The model 1877 Lightning shows to only be in .38 Colt Caliber, The model 1877 Thunder says it's the same general specifications as the 1877 lightning except in .41 Caliber only.
  3. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

My book shows that it is a Thunderer if in .41LC. Early run had checkered rosewood grips and on later runs the grips were of hard rubber. It says that they have the reputation as "watchmakers nightmares".
    Do you have a ser#? I cant seem to be able to find it in Blue Book. I am using 2010 The Standard Catalog of firearms. Their values are
    EXC $3000
    VG $1800
    Good $800
    Fair $750
    Poor $450
    If it is indeed a Thunderer add 10%
    Smokin Gun, Check out this sitehttp://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin/show_inventory.php?catID=13&subcatID=154
  4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

You better make sure it has not been refinished, because if it has, it is not worth nearly the price you mentioned. In average original condition these sell for around $700.
  5. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

I just went by the book values. I dont know squat about real life values but it's a good place to start.
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

NIB, those guns, unengraved, will easily go for $5000; nickel plated ones usually bring less, but a factory engraved and plated one would go a lot more. Of course, any such would need close scrutiny by an expert. If it is as described, and the Colt letter says it is factory engraved and nickeled with ivory grips, $1500 would be grand theft.

Be careful, though. Both guns and Colt letters have been faked, and it is a common practice to price fake guns at a substantial, but still bargain, price to entice buyers. Can you get a written guarantee that the gun is what the seller claims it is and that you can get a refund if you have it appraised and find out otherwise? The guarantee should include a description of the gun and serial number, along with a copy of the Colt letter. If the seller balks, you might consider walking.

(BTW, the terms "Lightning" and "Thunderer" were NOT factory terms, and Colt didn't use them. They were a Colt distributor's advertising hype. I either don't use them or put them in quotes to show they are not "official" names.)

Jim
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010