About to get new pistol... advice?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by golgiaparatus, Dec 10, 2009.

1. golgiaparatus

golgiaparatus New Member

Any other ideas will be welcome, but I have already narrowed the selection down to 4.

What I am looking for.
    Accurate, reliable, full size grip, double/single action, semi, inexpensive.

#1 Stoeger Cougar
    #2 Ruger P95
    #3 Bersa Thunder HC
    #4 Taurus PT-99

So far I'm leaning toward the Cougar. Like the feel and like the design. And that it's a full grip gun that could be carried pretty easily.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

All good choicesbut I have heard of some complaints about the Taurus PT99 recently. ( I have a PT92 and its my favorite but only after I sent it back to Taurus to fix a accuracy issue) The Stoeger Couger is a great choice. That rotating bolt lock action is sweet and came from a Beretta design.
    The P95 are built like tanks and very reliable.
    Can't comment on bersa.
    All the choices are accurate but they have to fit you to be consistently accurate.

Sounds to me your mind is already made up. If the Stoger fits and you like the way it looks and feels then there isn't more than that. I can tell you first hand that its frustrating to buy 1 gun but wish you bought the other b/c you second guessed yourself.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  3. golgiaparatus

golgiaparatus New Member

Whats the issue with the 99? I have a 92C and it's great, I imagine the 92 is just as good... is the 99 not just a 92 with an adjustable sight.

Really I'd just keep the 92 because it fits great and really is in the same category as the Cougar, it just has some sentimental value (I inherited it) so I don't want to keep it in the car or use it at the range a lot.
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Hah, so we meet again. Same problem as I mentioned on your other post. Recently Taurus has had some issues with linear stringing with this particular design. The barrel with the slide closed should be locked to the receiver. Some have been making it out with some slight vertical barrel movement. The barrel and slide don't match up quite right to lock it totally. I know it dosen't sound to major but at 25 feet your shooting 4 or 5 inch groups benched. Thats crap. They end up replacing the slide and the barrel and it takes like 8 weeks to get it done. I'm not saying totally rule out the 99 but if your like me, you won't like shipping off your new toy or 8 weeks for them to get it right (maybe).
    The couger uses that rotating bolt lock design which is slick and very strong. Its a little more complex but very reliable.
  5. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Of those choices.... RUGER!!!!!

or a Glock.... :D

gn
  6. wixedmords

wixedmords New Member

Of those choices golgiaparatus I'd go with the P95.

The P95 is a very reliable firearm and is likely to outlast either of us.

But, if you like the feel of the Cougar, that has to be taken into account.

If you have a range near you that rents guns, I would try to rent some of your choices if at all possible. What you think now may change after shooting a few of your choices.

If you can't shoot most of your choices, I'd go the used route and turn the guns over for what you purchased them for until you find what you like.

Good luck.
  7. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Any pistol is a good pistol if it is not made of plastic.

(ducking the g1n1 virus attack)
  8. golgiaparatus

golgiaparatus New Member

The cougar is my #1 choice at the moment. Pretty sure I will end up with one.
  9. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Of the ones you listed, I think I've heard people that like the Bersa and the Ruger. Personally, I prefer a 1911. If I bought something polymer-framed, I'd go after a Glock. Or if I could afford it, a USP. Honestly, by what I've heard, a USP is one of the finest pistols money can buy if you can afford one. I wouldn't exactly say it is equal with a Nighthawk or like real high-end match-grade stuff, but it's definitely a quality piece of equipment. I know a guy who swears by his. When I bought my first pistol, I went out to the range, shot the two I liked the most (Glock 17 and the 1911). Both were great guns. The 1911 just seemed like the better choice. It seemed to be a simpler design, more power (.45ACP compared to 9mm), costed less (my 1911 is an RIA I got for $500 vs. paying a little over $600 or more for a Glock). I think if I bought another gun it would be a Glock. The one thing I will say about Glock is that anywhere you go around here where I live, you can find just about anything for them because it's a very widely used police service pistol (especially the 17). But I'm satisfied with my 1911 for now. But to each his own. One gun may be right for you, but not right for everyone. Everything has its pros and cons.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  10. golgiaparatus

golgiaparatus New Member

After reading this post I was curious if I had any barrel movement on my PT92C with the slide closed, so I pulled it out and grabbed the tip of the barrel that hangs out from the slide and tried to move it around with my fingers... and it did indeed have a bit of movement... not just vertically either, it had a bit of side to side movement as well.

The funny thing is that my pistol is not a newer model, it's a 94, so obviously this is not a recent problem. I wonder if I should take it to a gunsmith and see if there is anything that can be done about this...

Though I would be curious to hear from some some Beretta 92FS owners to find out if they have barrel movement as well. It almost seems like it would be something that would be completely unavoidable with this design.
  11. bestseller92

bestseller92 New Member

I can't speak for the others on your list, but I consider the Ruger P95 (at $299 new for a stainless model) to be the best value in a new 9mm on the market today.
  12. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

Pick a Ruger. Then again I'm alittle bias on this subject.......Reliable yes, Target grade, heck no. You said inexpensive, you won't get target grade with that option in todays world.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  13. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Agree with the P95 supporters. I have a P94 in 40 S&W and with 155 gr bullets it is dead on at 25 yards and in 14+ years it has never missed a beat.
  14. golgiaparatus

golgiaparatus New Member

Went with the Cougar. Just felt like the best gun for all round use, had the best feeling grip, action, weight and size (compact in length but with a full grip). P95 was the best value without a doubt but I didn't like the grip and it's not swappable. Everything was great on the Bersa but the grip felt like a toy gun and it was by far the least concealable.

As for the cougar... I like the idea of the rotating/locking barrel design. Seems like it will keep recoil to a minimum and I cant imagine that Beretta would have continued its use on the PX4 Storm if it wasn't a solid design.

Anyway, done deal, it's at home in my locker.
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  15. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

When you get out and put it thru it's paces then post a range report. Congrats on a new gun.