about your auction dream

Discussion in 'TFF Technical Support Forum & Suggestion Box' started by bobski, May 24, 2012.

1. bobski

bobski Former Guest

before you go full tilt into it, why not turn your want room right now into an auction forum.

have it start out with someone putting up an item. the lookers get to post questions like a normal thread. sellers can post more detailed pics as asked for. at any time, a poster can post a bid in a response. have the thread have a lock time(closing date)...set by the seller i/e: 24 hrs, 3 days, 5 days. then, whoever had the last bid posted on the thread gets it.

and, seller gets to accept or reject bids based on the posters profile and seniority, so 1 post snipers cant fly in.

you wont need any other hardware. you have it already in place. right?

it might be a good field study and trial run.
    just an idea.
    Last edited: May 24, 2012
  2. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Interesting.
  3. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    I think that would be a good way to see if it will fit in here.
  4. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Its not going to be a part of this forum, so, why would you test something here that wont be set up anything like the separate auction site would be? That wouldnt be a true test at all. The auction site will take a completely different type of software and design.
    Last edited: May 25, 2012
  5. bobski

bobski Former Guest

its free and you have it in place. charge auction posters a small fee to list an item. flat rate.
    why invest in something you dont need?
  6. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Money to help take some of the load off those who pay to keep this site going?

Money to improve what's available to us here?

Money to throw in a neat monthly gift, that wouldn't have otherwise have been available(?).

How about, just some payback for all the work, 24/7, that's been done here for the last ten years?

If there's a buck to be made, unlike bHo, I'm for it.

Go Capitalism.
    :dancingdots:
  7. bobski

bobski Former Guest

invest in us. dont spend money on a new system.
    its intact. it works. use it!
    just revamp the forum to the suggestion and run it to see how it works.
    free meaning, you wont have to spend any MORE money for a system you already have.
    we're offering suggestions to help you make money without spending more money and instead of saying hmmm, we'll take a look at it, you try every possible way to deflate the ideas!?
    if you want us to invest in a new system for you, may i suggest you show us you listen to ideas and try to make it work?
    you guys are the techno guys. im just the idea guy.
    i know it cant be hard to come up with a format with a counter that deletes posts automatically.
    and it cant be hard to make some password that allows pre paid posters to post ads in a forum. is it?
    come on guys, im trying to help you guys revive a dead forum to your benefit! (want room)
  8. K75RT

K75RT New Member

I like your thinking!
  9. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Opening up a discussion site, no matter the topic, isn't that big a deal if you have good help, and the funds to keep it going.

Opening up a site that is geared to be commercially successful, is a whole different ball game.

Pre-paid posters? Dead Forum? Deleting posts automatically?
    " show us your ideas, and listen to us"?

I've had 3. Having what you call a dead forum ( rarely used ) isn't uncommon at all.

Membership was driven by word of mouth, and sponsors who supplied rotating banner HTML, and I supplied mine to them.

Moderators are responsible for deleting posts. I have never heard of a piece of software that automatically deletes posts. Right this minute, I can't think of a need for one that would be used in a commercial setting.

Pre paid posters? Are you assuming a person who was looking to purchase a product from an auction site, would be willing to pay the site owner for the privilege of being allowed to bid?
  10. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Something I hadn't thought of before; when the plan was originally brought up, I was thinking it would be more like an ebay site where anyone can list items and if it sells they get the proceeds less a fee. But it just occured to me that we've had some great monthly giveaways, with most of the items donated by members. What if instead of giving away donated items, TFF auctions them off to help with administration costs of running the forum? I suppose it could be done either way or both ways.