Absolute Noob Question

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by disturbed13, Nov 26, 2007.

1. disturbed13

disturbed13 New Member

what makes a glock so good?
    everytime i see one or hear something about a glock
    its that they are just so darn good
    why? what am i missing here?
  2. First off, welcome to TFF hedoe. Glad to have you with us. :)

I have moved your thread to the Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers Forum where you are much more likely to get some comment.

Now, in response to your question, the pistol designs of Gaston Glock are among the most controversial you are likely to find if past comments around TFF and elsewhere are any indicator. What it boils down to, I think, is that folks seem either love them or hate them with very little middle ground. I happen to be one of those who likes them a great deal and who shoots and carries them frequently. I see the Glocks as highly reliable and accurate handguns since that has been my experience with them. They are much lighter than traditional steel weapons, a decided plus if the weapon is to be carried daily. I also happen to like the trigger setup on the Glocks, though this is perhaps the single factor that turns some folks against them. It does take some getting used to, but the fact that the weapon may be carried safely without a separate lever-type safety or heavy, double action trigger pull on the first round discharged is a great innovation in my mind, at least in a pistol intended for self-defense use. It is true that the polymer frames of these pistols had some problems when they first came out many years ago, but those problems seem to have been solved in the newer Glocks. I think much of the controversy over the Glocks is simply that some folks are very traditionalist in their view that pistols should be made of steel. They forget that progress does get made and new materials are often better than older ones. Just my $.02 worth.
  3. disturbed13

disturbed13 New Member

interesting
    and sorry for not posting in the correct thread
    i didnt see it
    ill have to look around some more
    before i ask another question
    that way
    it'll be in the right place the first time
    and thanks for the welcome
  4. No problem on the post, hedoe. It always takes new members a little while to see how things are organized on TFF. Do browse around. You'll find a great deal of information here and a great many fine folks to talk with. Please feel free to enjoin in the conversations. :D
  5. FranklyTodd

FranklyTodd New Member

Them being "good" is obviously subjective.

They are extremely reliable, and all the safeties are "passive" meaning they just work, so you don't have to think about what to do. Point, pull the trigger, repeat.

Most people also think they are very, very ugly! For firearms connoisseurs, many prefer pieces that are more like works of art, or have a great history, like 1911 pistols.

I have some beautiful weapons that I treasure, and I also just bought a Glock G-27 in olive drab, which I also love. I can see both sides of Glock loving/hating. Don't buy one because of what others have said. There are lots of great guns out there, do more research than just reading forums like these. For any type of gun, you can find a post loving on it, and bashing it...
  6. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

as a fan of the 1911 I don't see all that much greatness in a Glock but then I am from the south so that could be it :D
  7. But Ron, John M. Browning was not even born in the South! He was born in Ogden, Utah in 1855! :eek::D;) It is true though that Southrons tend to be a bit traditionalist. I mean, after all, they reload and build gun rooms in their garages. :D:D:D

Just kidding ya! ;) I like the 1911 too, but I think Glock still had some good ideas with his pistol designs. If you think about it, the 1911 pattern pistol was itself a "wild new invention" when Browning designed it. The whole idea of a self-loader was new then, and many folks rejected it figuring the 1873 SAA Colt was the ultimate development in handguns. ;)
  8. disturbed13

disturbed13 New Member

i think that glocks are beautyful myself
    and my dad has a reloading/gun room in the house
    its not the garage
    but its the house
    he has a camaro and a mustang to keep lookin good
  9. berto64

berto64 Active Member

I believe most of you know where I stand on this topic.

1911's Rule!
  10. TTUshooter

TTUshooter New Member

I personally do like the Glocks. I carry one very very frequently. They are reliable guns and are very accurate out of the box. They are lighter weight than all steel guns and carry quite a few rounds. I also like 1911's very much. I carry mine quite frequently as well. They both have their ups and downs. For a shooter on a budget I would give a golck in 9mm the edge. The guns are normally cheaper. 9mm ammo is cheaper and if you plan on using it for concealed carry, there are much less pointy things like a grip safetly or hammer to poke you. Now are the Glocks works of art? probably not. But are they utilitarian? Yes. But to each their own. I love both. Find out which is best for you... or get both. Shoot as many different guns as you can and find what you like best.
  11. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 New Member

I hate them, the feel...the blockiness, they're butt ugly...the trigger pull takes forever, and I just don't like a gun without a hammer much anyway.
  12. shrk08

shrk08 New Member

first, they don't just have special rooms for reloading in the south!!;) i have an entire building for reloading and very little else; and i live in Montana!

second, long live the camaro!!!!!!! i own one, wouldn't trade it for any car!

third, i'm not sure(no personal experience) but i have heard that a glock can be thrown in the mud and still shoot. but i've heard the same about the 1911 so...
    i think it's more a matter of personal tastes: 1911=traditional; glock=modern
  13. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Welcome hedoe & shrk08!

Too each his own. I prefer the grip on a doublestack 1911. & a crisp trigger. There are some real good Glock shooters out there. :)
  14. disturbed13

disturbed13 New Member

the mustang is my step moms
    and IMHO its the only thing that ford can make good
    but thats just me
    and i really like modern stuff
    curse cell phones
    i dont have enough money to keep up with them
  15. Tomygun

Tomygun New Member

Responses are just amazing. Won't anyone say what they do or do not like about these? Myself; I like the trigger mec., I hate the feel that I am pointing a 2X4. I can shoot a Sig .45cal quickly better than the rest at a timed shoot, and beyond what you would expect single action at a distance. If my life depended on it this is what I would choose. My son is a police lieutenant and I recently gave him my favorite pistol. A Dan Wesson Razor Back. 10mm with hot loads that supercedes all others and has the same trajectory as a .22mag to 150yds. If you can master this combo for offence and defence then it seems to be the best. Heavier than some but quick, short, or long range accuracy, and heavy enough and sometimes legal for Elk. After my chrony and penetration and distance tests my best choice for a one only handgun is this 10mm. Thats just me. Tomygun