abuffing compund to vibro tumbler media

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by soundguy, Jun 27, 2012.

1. RustyFN

RustyFN New Member

I know it's not going to break the bank but I bought a 7 pound bag of crushed walnut at the pet store 6 years ago for $4. I have cleaned at least 30,000 cases and still have half the bag left.
  2. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i'm using pet sore crushed cob media to mix with my rice and real lyman cob media.

the ped store media was something like 4$ for a gallon pour jug. dustless too.

the lyman media is a stiff 17$ or so fo the gallon pour jug for the treated stuff.. and 10$ untreated ( I passed on the untreated ).

between mixing the 3 , I should have enough media for a long time to come.. for super nasty range brass.. i pour my mix off and put in straight rice and clean it, then toss the rice into a 1g baggie for use again for real dirty range brass...
  3. RustyFN

RustyFN New Member

I hear you. I bought 40 pounds of 14/20 blasting cob for $21. I'm sure it's enough to last my lifetime and then some.
  4. soundguy

if it did't make a matte finish I'd be tempted to add in some walnut or pecan shell media...
  5. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I just put a squirt of car wax in and it works great.
  6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I just use walnut shell. I don't worry about the shine; it's clean, and that's all I care about.
  7. ozo

ozo Active Member

Didn't say I had to, only that I do.
    I like the results it produces.
  8. Twicepop

Twicepop Member

Whatever chemical solutions any of you use, either by itself or in mizture with your favorite cleaning/polishing compounds, make sure it doesn't have ammonia in it. Ammonia will embrittle your brass, making it unsafe to use.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't
  9. RustyFN

RustyFN New Member

I just started using 50/50 walnut/cob and the cases clean in the same amount of time and come out a lot shinier. I also add 1/2 cap full of Nu Finish.
  10. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I use walnut on dirty range pick up brass then cob. For my brass I use only Cobb with nufinish.

Corncob gets the major dirt off. Cobb is more like a buffing pad and makes them shinny. That and I am anal about my reloads looking as good as they shoot.
  11. soundguy

i might practice with some rouged pecan hulls..