Accidental discharge question!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pat Hurley, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

For those who have been around guns and gunners for many years, I have a question. Please pause and reach back in your memory. Think of all the persons who you have known or read about, who accidentally shot themselves, or simply had an accidental discharge. Can you name the gun manufacturer you remember being involved most often? If so, which manufacturer do you remember being most frequently involved in one of these incidents.

I have a name, but I'll withhold until later. ;)
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Pat their really is no such thing as a accidental discharge, They are NEGLIGENT discharges. Usually from poor trigger finger control. The only accidental discharge I have ever had has been from a SKS with ammo that had soft primers. I know what company your gonna name but just keep in mind as many of them that is sold. Their are gonna be some people that shoot themselves and blame it on the gun. Their is no such thing as a safety on a gun. The only safety their is with guns is a good mind. I have seen negligent discharges with guns that had and didn't have external safety's
  3. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

I can remember two incidents not involving negligence in handling a weapon. One happened with an side by side 12ga. owned by my cousin that went off when he closed the action. We blamed him, saying he had his finger on the trigger but we experimented, put in two fresh shells, closed the action and the left barrel fired, two fresh shells, closed and both fired. It was an IGA and was promptly dismantled and disabled. The other incident involved my friend's 700 Remington in 7mm. Rem Mag. This one fired when the bolt was closed. Both have since been repaired, can't remember the problem with the IGA but the Remington's trigger catch was worn to the point where it would not engage the bolt.
  4. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

Southern:

I fully concur that no gun ever shoots anyone or anything without human intervention. But let's not parse words. For the purposes of this thread, an accidental discharge or an accidentally self-inflicted gun shot wound is, by it's nature, very negligent. But are some manufacturers creating weapons that are simply more prone to negligent discharges than others? I think so.

Do you have a manufacturer in mind? Which one? And why do you suppose that the manufacturer you pick is most frequently associated with accidental/negligent discharges?
  5. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Pat, we had an interesting poll a few years ago on ADs that I posted mainly to see how many guys would "fess up...":p

I've ALWAYS believed that there are only THREE types of shooters, those that admit they have had one or more in their lifetime, those who have not YET had one but absolutely will someday, and those that are LYING about never having one....;)

I think I know the manufacturer you are referring to, BUT it can happen to anyone, anytime, with ANY firearm, and yes, SS, is generally right, many times they ARE "negligent" discharges, but they can just as easily have 'mechanical" explanations, like one I had years ago with an old SS shotgun that did not not recock the firing pin ONCE, and whenn I slammed it closed on a new round in a hurry it fired, with my finger nowhere NEAR the trigger, and a safety that went on AUTOMATICALLY when it broke open....

Plus if you asked this question in the late 1800s, the winner would be EITHER the Colt SAA, (WHY do you think they loaded only FIVE?) or ANY Winchester with a hammer....but that did NOT mean they were "bad....."

(and I can only guess what abuse I will get for "defending" them from PeeShootz if my guess to what you are alluding is right....:p )
  6. Lead Lobber

Lead Lobber Former Guest

I never carry any of my Colt SAAs loaded with six, but used to never think twice of having them in various hidey holes in my home loaded with six. One hangs by the trigger guard from a cup holder screwed into the bottom of a shelf on the wall against which my bed rests within easy reach when in bed.

The chamber under the hammer is now kept empty; one night I banged the hammer with my hand while rolling over, half asleep. I always wear a breathing mask for sleep apnea, and because the machine sometime makes too much noise, I was wearing my shooting ear gear (like head phones) over my ears.

I heard a dull pop, and saw a flash through closed eyelids. I thought I was dreaming until I removed the head gear and smelled gunsmoke. I could not believe it! The bullet went down at a steep angle through the side of the house into the ground outside.

That's my embarrasing AD story. :eek:

Oh, and I was digging at my left cheek area for the next few weeks - you all know what can happen when you are at right angles to a revolver going off. Yeah, lead shavings. In my face!
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
  7. noslolo

noslolo New Member

there are only two that I have ever heard of and on the first one, the gun owner took total ownership of the accident. The other was a Female with little gun expierence and shot a hole in her floor with her .22 semi auto. I'm sure that they happen, but most of the time it is owner error.
  8. southernshooter

I figured you we're gonna name Glock. The only reason people hear of so many negilent discharges with them is that their is thousands of more Glocks sold a year that any other guns. I myself have watched atleast a dozen people shooting the ground or themselfs trying to let down a hammer on a 1911. Had a fellow I knew took his heel clean off trying to let down a hammer on his Desert Eagle 50
  9. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Southern, that dog won't hunt.

That's like saying "the reason there's so many more viruses for Windows is because there's so many Windows machines!" Isn't the reason. Poor security design to begin with is the reason for that little fiasco.

I have no opinion on whether or not GLOCK is an inherently unsafe design. I just object to fallacious arguments in support of your position. In addition, you have jumped to a conclusion not based upon anyone's statements. Nobody, other than you, has mentioned GLOCK until now. Sounds like you have a plastic chip on your shoulder. [grin]
  10. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Well, if indeed it IS Glocks we are talking about, which is what I suspected,(and God and everyone else knows I do NOT like them one bit...)

I STILL do not blame the design for THAT any more than I blame the Colt SAA or the Winchesters, even my beloved '97 I use every year for deer,(And have had not one but TWO ADs with lowering that hammer to half-cock in the cold with gloves on....)

I blame the general lack of basic firearms training, coupled with this increasingly litigious society we live in....

If somebody accidentally shot himself or God forbid, someone else, back THEN, we more than likely would call him stupid, and say something derogatory about his intelligence....BUT there WEREN'T that many people "accidentally" shot, or at least very many reports exist, because ADs were a fact of life! SOoooo you made sure you followed the OTHER rule...."keep the muzzle pointed safely...." TOO! Virtually EVERYBODY back then was taught how to shoot, or handle firearms, at a YOUNG age, while NOW, sadly comparatively FEW people are....

Why do you THINK they discontinued the '97, and the SAA (until they "redesigned" the "transfer bar," redisigned the Model 94, came up with the 1911A1 Series 90, etc, etc, etc....INEXPERIENCED STUPID PEOPLE WERE STARTING TO SHOOT THEMSELVES and OTHERS, with tried and true designs around for DECADES, and starting to SUE!:mad: WE can blame this on a lot of things, single parent families, the anti-gun "movement," Liberals, whatever, but it IS a fact of modern life!

As to GLOCKS, YES there are more of them sold, and one of their SELLING points is how quickly an "inexperienced" shooter can at least "acceptably" learn to shoot, and QUALIFY (as in LEOs) with LESS training! (and with spending less TAX dollars!) (and so we can spend MORE time training him in "Diversity Awareness" and other PC "People Skills.!" :rolleyes: )

YES, many if not MOST bright eyed young LEO cadets come to the table with as little firearms experience as the general public has today! I've SEEN it, and EXPERIENCED it first hand. 21 year olds fresh out of "Peace OFficer Training'" qualifying for the first time who have NEVER fired a shotgun missing the entire target 2 of 3 shots with deer slugs at 50 yds, (which was STILL "passing,") then getting so afraid of the recoil when they got beat up by that folding stock 870 (he later said he picked it from the others offered, including a couple of Model 12 riots, because it "looked more modern:cool: ) that they miss the entire target AIMING with buckshot at 7 yds! (which thank God was FAILING!) And this in RURAL Ohio, 20 years ago, and I remember consoling him after and asking him if he had ever fired a shotgun, and he said "no....":eek:

My GOD, my dad had me shooting a 12ga. when I WAS 12!

IMHO, ADs with GLocks are the SYMPTOM of a problem, not necessarily the PROBLEM.

And I STILL do not like them and would NEVER own one....:p
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
  11. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

I was told by several military insructors that it was impossible to have a 1911 fire more than once for each trigger pull. I have personally had two different 1911 s either double fire or go full auro. The first was a military surplus 1911 A1 that I bought from the DCM. It doubled due to a broken sear spring. The other was a brand new Colt Gold Cup Series 70 that went full auto at a pistol match(That was exciting). It had a sear that was ground improperly at the factory. When I complained to Colt they sent me back a nice letter stating that all precision target pistols required a "break in Period". I stoned the sear to correct angle myself instead of sending it back after that brilliant statement.
  12. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

The only person that I personally know inflicted an unintended personal injury with a firearm is a friend of my brother. He was being an idiot and quick-drawing with an old black powder revolver and shot himself in the foot. When it first went off, it startled him but he didn't know that he'd shot his two smallest toes off of his right foot until a few minutes later. His father was a police officer so news got around quick.

A 15 year old nephew of mine was cleaning a 12 gauge shotgun last year and it went off and shot a hole in the ceiling of the garage. I don't know the whole story on that one, but nobody got hurt.

I've only had one "negligent discharge" by my own hand. It was with a 10/22 and it was pointed down range at the time. It still bothers me that I let it happen.
  13. southernshooter

I have read where Pat has said he didn't like Glocks, So I am pretty sure that is what he is talking about. Due to the way he said it in his first post.

I would like to hear what you think is a poor security design. Or is it your scared of change. I know a few folks like that. They didn't think the police should switch from revolver to auto's. A gun doesn't need an external safety, Maybe you should study up on accute motor skills under stress and see what can happen with safety's. I am not a diehard Glockie I just hate to see a good gun drug thru the dirt because some dumbas$ shoots himself.
  14. rowdyredneck

rowdyredneck New Member

I used to hunt deer with a model 97 Winchester 12 gauge and had the same thing happen. I was about 13 years old at the time and had just chambered a round. As I was lowering the hammer it slipped out from under my thumb and since my finger was still on the trigger it went off. Luckily I was pointing it at the ground as I had been taught and no harm was done, but it did teach me a valuable lesson and I've never had another accidental discharge since with any of my guns.
  15. southernshooter

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that thought that