Accidental Discharge... :(

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VegasTech702, Feb 12, 2010.

1. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

As the title implies, my turn came tonight... A couple of friends and myself had recently gone out shooting my AK-47. While we were firing, the gun jammed up and we could not get the bolt open. I did not have the tools to get it apart at the range and had to bring the gun home with a live round stuck in the tube.

It all goes south from there. Tonight, I began taking the rifle apart on the foot of my bed (since my bench space was used up). I got the machine cover off and went to bring the bolt rearword ... BANG! I nearly lost control of my bowels (to put it nicely).

In any case, the round had gone through the wall at the foot of my bed and into the next door apartment. I dropped the gun and ran next door and pounded on the door several times. No one answered and I didn't hear any thing coming from inside. I called the security and they called the Police.

They came and several Metro officers asked me what happened about 4 different times in addition to my report. They were very professional. I had to stand outside in the cold for a god hour and a half. CSI showed up and got to play with their fancy tools. They were unable to recover the shell casing. They recovered the slug underneath the carpet of the apartment next door. Luckily, no one was home at the time of the incident and the round didn't damage anything other than the wall and carpet.

I feel like such a moron. Here I have owned so many guns for most of my life and I end up having an accidental discharge. Thank God no one was home or got hurt. I was lucky, they didn't even give me a citation.

From now on, if a gun gets jammed at the range, it will remain at the range until it has been cleared. I will never put myself in a situation where this could happen ever again. Now I get to deal with the apartment manager in the morning. Hopefully, they will go easy on me.
  2. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

WOW! :eek: what a story! Glad you're still w/ us & nobody was hurt next door. We learn from our mistakes..... (& reading about other's). Thanks for sharing as it's a good reminder of what all can happen due to a FTF.

FWIW; I sure hope you don't end up in hot water w/ your apt. mgr..... it's too cold to have to move. :rolleyes: :eek:

SR
  3. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks for having the guts to share this story. I know how you must feel. Again thank God nobody got hurt. I am sure you have learned a very important lesson.
  4. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Did the police take your AK?
    By the way, been there done that.:eek::( I still have a .45 round under my Pergo.
  5. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Thank God you or your neighbors didn't get hurt.
  6. petesusn

petesusn New Member

Thanx for teaching all of us a valuable lesson.
  7. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

I have a 38 Spl slug in my living room floor from the same thing. I'm glad that nobody was hurt.
  8. ARB

ARB New Member

I was reading an article in a gun magazine a while back where the author, a man that had been around firearms for 30+ years accidently fired his .38 through the wall in his bedroom. I had an accidental discharge with my 1911 at the range last year. Very, embarrassing! The point is that this has happened to a lot of people. Yes, you are probably going to hear some folks chastise the situation. But, when it comes right down to it, they are right.
    No one was hurt, and you learned a lesson that you will never forget. Count yourself lucky. Good luck, with the apartment's management. Are you on good terms with your neighbors? If so, maybe they can help you out with the management. :)
  9. GoodOl'12gauge

GoodOl'12gauge New Member

I still have a .45 slug in the wll of my kitchen from a home made snap cap that wasnt quite a snap cap. Its an honest accident and nobody got hurt so we just learn from our mistakes.
  10. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

No, they carefully inspected it with their CSI team. I got several complements on the modifications but they didn't give me a hard time or try to take it.

I think someone was watching over me.
  11. runswithscissors

runswithscissors New Member

Wowee-be more careful... it does happen, and you were at least responsible to run to security and get them to check on your neighbors. Thank goodness you are all ok. One killed a fellow Marine while we were on guard duty in 1989. The Sgt of the guard's 9mm discharged negligently right through our friend's neck and head with one shot. And to make it even worse if possible, another Marine's wife had just stepped into the building and saw it happen the instant the shot went off. AD's, ND's, they are all scary.
  12. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Glad that You and Yours were not hurt. Gotta compliment you on 'manning-up' and letting everyone know of the event really fast. I'd be willing to bet that helped your situation, even if it wasn't brought up to you.
    You are a RESPONSIBLE firearms owner, (even when it's not 'pretty')!
  13. navis128

navis128 New Member

I'll bet you were just sick when no one answered the door. I'm glad things have turned out well so far. You'll have to keep us in "the loop" about the apt management sitch.
  14. neilin

neilin New Member

Glad that you and no one else were hurt. I always try to never have my gun pointed at anything I would not want to see destroyed, even when I know it is empty. That rule paid off one day, when I put a round through the floor of my bedroom.
  15. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Agreed!

Not everyone would admit to an AD, it IS a sobering reminder.

I know most have probably seen this video, but each time the topic comes up I have to post it. LEO shoots himself

Crpdeth
  16. wpage

wpage Active Member

Happens all the time.
    Most dont have the courage to discuss it.
    God Bless you for doing the right thing for your neighbor.
  17. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Thank you for being so responsible, first of all. That covers a LOT.

Firearms are made to expel projectiles at high velocities, and they will do so when the proper conditions are met according to physics no matter what. Our job is to direct that.
    Frankly, many people fail this. The more a person is involved with firearms the more opportunities for this arise. It will happen. As you've seen, when we're discussing people who are using firearms a lot, it WILL happen.
    I've done this too. Still have a bullet hole in the cieling to prove it, from 20 years ago.
    Just keep on doing what you've been doing, with a better and more experienced eye toward safety.
  18. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I've never been to a public range so... wouldn't the range have the necessary tools to clear it?

I try to bring every tool I might need with me when I shoot. Most my firearms don't take but a screwdriver or those newfangled star wrenches to be completely disassembled.

Maybe that would be a good thread for someone to start, (What one needs to bring to the range/hunting.)
  19. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I done this with my 41mag, only I had mine on my bed while packing for a trip and hit the hammer with a tackle box of gun goodies (tools, cleaning kit, and a few odds and ends) and the damn thing went off. It will most definatly make one soil their pants.
  20. bizy

bizy New Member

I told my story here before. I had owned guns for 50 before I shot myself in the leg. I was taking it apart just like you.. BOOM! There is no such thing as "Too Careful"...
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010