Accuracy & CCW Questions.....

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Charlie9, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

Glock 26
    Kel-Tec P9 or P-11

I have both. The Glock shoots the best but is the largest of sub-compacts. The trade off for size with the Kel-Tec's is the snappy recoil. The G-26 is the smoothest shooting 9mm I have ever shot, but it's not as pretty as my EMP!
  2. Charlie9

Charlie9 New Member

Does anyone out there own a Sig Sauer P226 Platnum Elite????? Someone on another site said that is one of the ultimate pistols for "accuracy".????
  3. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Sorry if you're not getting the answers expected.

Get a Glock 26 in your hands and see how that is. Other than that, go for a Keltec. Either one you can carry all day with no problem, both light, accurate and reliable.
  4. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

My most accurate gun is my 1911 but it is too big to carry due to our stupid no gun zones. I would constantly be undressing which would bring needless attention to myself and my gun. What do you want in accuracy? 7 yards is about the max for defensive shooting and even the LCP that I have is accurate at that distance although it is no fun to shoot. If you are looking at the 9 mm platform, you probably should look at the LC9, the SR9C, the M&P 9C for concealment. I mention them because they are American owned and made which would be my first criteria. As to the accuracy all guns have their quirks just like us. You either adapt to the quirk or you trade the gun. Most accuracy issues ultimately are we the shooter. Good luck in your search.
  5. Diamondback

Diamondback Active Member

I carry, depending on conditions, one of three different pistols. A Taurus 1911 .45 acp , a Taurus PT99 9mm or an antique Beretta Gordone vt 1944 in .32 acp. The thing about all three in that I can put 8 rounds of .45, 16 rounds of 9mm or 8 rounds of .32 in a 9" pie plate at 7 yds rapid fire. For self defense this all the accuracy you need. If you desire to put every round through one button hole at 25 yds then have yourself a race gun built. This is MHO and not a criticism of any ones personal choice in carry guns.

By the way I own two very fine Ruger Mk I's that are capable of better groups than I am capable of shooting.
  6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Many shooters will use an out-of-the-box SIG P220 or P226 for competition and find the accuracy perfectly acceptable for that purpose. However, neither are compact guns. They're actually both larger than your Shadow.

Maybe a 1911 would be your best bet. They're rather thin and come in multiple sizes (and therefore concealable), and there are thousands of gunsmiths who specialize in making 1911s accurate. Here are a couple websites to get you started in that direction: http://www.lesbaer.com/ http://www.stiguns.com/
  7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

The 226 is a great gun and used a lot for competition but its one of the largest frames sig has.
  8. noslolo

noslolo New Member

Go to a range that rents guns and see what fits your hand, then try them out. I carry a

Kahr CW40 and I love it. The CW9 is a little easier to shoot and both will out shoot the

owner. Any time you are going smaller with the handgun, you will have to have more range

time to get used to the firearm. When I bought my first carry gun, I ran out to the range

and I had a hard time keeping hits on the paper. I handed it over to my father in law who

has been shooting far longer than I, and he put everything in the black and loved my little .

40. It took a good chunk of range time and a little bit of instruction, and then I saw a major

difference in my shooting.
  9. the yooper

the yooper New Member

welcom charlie9
    i carry a G22 or G23 love them both my wife likes a SW9 the ? is what works for you..... go try some out. hope this helps good luck
    ps. we all ben through it
  10. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Not sure what the Shadow is, but CZ has some pistols that are good for concealed carry. They are typically pretty accurate. The SIG P210 is considered one of the most accurate handguns ever made, but I don't think it would make a great CCW.

If the Springfield XDm is not your cup of tea, try out Glock. Glock makes pretty accurate pistols from what I hear.

And it's not all the gun either. A big part of "accuracy" is how proficient one is with their weapon. I mean take me for example. I can hit the target with my 1911. My Springer is just as good as most other 1911s out there and I'll bet an expert shooter like some here could shoot 1 1/2" groups with my gun.

I think in all fairness, if I was looking for a good carry gun, taking everything into account, I would either go with some type of 1911, a CZ75 model or a Glock. And I think if I got any Glock, I'd go for the 19. I've shot both the 19 and the 23 and the .40 S&W round in that gun is a little bit too much for me. The 9mm is much more manageable.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  11. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

The Shadow being referenced is actually the CZ 75 Shadow, a competition version of the CZ 75. It's a great pistol, but it's not small by any means.

If you like the CZ pistols, have you considered the 2075 RAMI or the P07 Duty? These also may be viable options.
  12. Charlie9

Charlie9 New Member

Hey THANKS guys I appreciate everyones input. Yes, my CZ Shadow is my most "accurate" pistol by far but it is just a little heavy at times for concealed carry. I believe it weighs in at 39 oz. with the mag included. If anyone out there owns a Sig Sauer P226 I would love to hear from them. I really have fallen in love with their P226 Platnum Elite model. It really looks cool and at $1,272.00 it just has to be good!!!!!!! But yes, it is also a big gun too like my Shadow.
  13. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Charlie, I own and carry a 226DAK(basically, the differance with this model is it is double action only) for my job. It's a great gun. Built sturdy, if just a little bulky, and is accurate. It breaks down very easily, which is a big plus for me. I am interested in seeing if the trigger can be lightened just a little though. I'm more used to single action, so the heavy double action trigger is kinda weird for me. We carry a 9mm at work and I carry a .40 as soon as I leave work. They have some pretty decent night sights on them. I like my meprolights on my kimber more, but they are better than a lot I've seen.
  14. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I really hope you dont pay 1200 for that gun. I can sell it for 1025.00 as soon as my supplier gets some more. That is for the 40 cal natural stainless. The 9mm elite dark model would be 969.00. I have a new 220 equinox carry 45acp stainless slide wood grips I would sell for 940.00. They are over a thousand all day long.