Accuracy on my first loads with a 30-06

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Ronwerk, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Ronwerk

Ronwerk New Member

Great site, I'm glad I stumbled upon it searching for reloading info. Thank you.

I hit the range the other day to try out the first attempt at reloading.

I took along 10 rounds of IMR 4350 55grains, nosler 180gr bullets.

First four Rounds were fired off sand bags at my 50 yard target and to my surprise these thing were great. three off the four touching with the first one a little off to the side..

Next six rounds off sand bags again at my 100 yard target didn't go so great. 4-5 inch group spread all around.

I'm wondering which direction to head in to try and tighten my 100yard group? Or do I just try some different combos till I get what my rifle likes.

Thanks all,

Ron
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

3. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Before I do any load development I make sure the barrel is squeaky clean. No copper, no nothin, just barrel. Wipe-Out works the best for me. Then I fire a couple fouling shots and start the process.

4-5 inches sounds like more than what a ladder test can over come. Time for some more details. Rifle, scope and mounts?? Did you weigh each charge? Neck sized, FL sized, OAL, Bullet type, ya know stuff like that. The more details the easier it is to help.
  4. Ronwerk

Ronwerk New Member

Thanks for the replies. Never did hear of the ladder test. Can't wait to try it out.
    As for more info on what I'm using and putting together and working with.

Rifle: Rem model 700. 3.5 x10 x 44 swift scope.
    The original 10 rounds were all new remington brass, Winchester primers, 55 grains of IMR4350 powder, with nosler 180 gr partition rounds with a COL of 83.80mm

I think that's everything?

I'll measure or post a pic of the 100 yard target to give a better idea of where these rounds were hitting.

Thanks for the help guys.

Ron
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011