Accuracy question and buffer question.

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

22boomer
    (1/1/02 12:32:33 pm)
    Reply Accuracy question and buffer question.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I just bought a 10/22 with the hammer forged SS barrel and Laminated stock. I put a 10-24X 40mm scope on it due to my poor eyesight. What kind of accuracy can I expect at 50 yards and 100 yards? Who can I order buffers from or better yet what material can I use to make them and who should I order it from?

Thanks.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (1/1/02 12:49:31 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: Accuracy question and buffer question.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome Aboard 22Boomer!

LTS and the rest of the crew will be along shortly
    to help you out!

Nice to have you join us, hope to see you often!

Tac
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

BlackGun
    (1/1/02 12:59:42 pm)
    Reply Re: Accuracy question and buffer question.
    Hey 22BOOMER! Welcome aboard! Glad to have you among the TFF family! LTS is your man when it comes to buffers, I believe he makes his own. A world of knowledge among this fine group. LTS or one of the other experts will be here soon to answer your question. Happy New Years and come back often.
    Make Peace, Nor war! He who angers you, controls you! !

BlackGUN

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/1/02 1:35:13 pm)
    22BOOMER.... WELCOME!!

Though I have handled the model you are refering to, I have not shot one....I build them from base 10/22`s, so I will give you my experience on the base 10/22. In the carbine form, short barrel and stock...this is a hard rifle for most to shoot and the reason is tufold, stock and short sight radius. I have locked the base 10/22 in a vise style benchrest, fired one shot onto a large piece of paper, then placed a target matching the hole with the bullseye. Under slow fire with a factory rifle and quality ammo, they will group under 1/2" @ 50 yards...most often one ragged hole. I would suspect that the factory HB 10/22 will also do this, but would be easier because of the stock and barrel....weight. I don`t know how well the factory trigger on that model is, but if it is even close to the regular model.....that is where the problem will be on grouping. I tried many different ways to modify the factory trigger group....to no avail. I use mostly "POWER CUSTOM" parts, but others are out there and the quality is too. It`s a big market and I just settled on that brand.

The buffer is an excellent invention, though I make my own. It does not take that long to get slop in that area of the receiver. I believe all of these buffer makers are equal in quality, pretty hard to mess up a small pin type part, but I`m sure it can be done. I use a small piece of teflon, that I attach to the back of the bolt in the recessed area, where the bolt makes contact with the bolt stop pin. I use a small amount of that funky rubber glue,,,,(the stuff like credit cards are stuck to paper with, never sets up) This will last several shooting sessions, then when I break it down for cleaning, it is replaced, it`s a pain sometimes and a pin would do the job better....I suppose....but I`m set in my ways. It does (the buffer) help for tighter groups, because of bolt lash.

I would expect that model with quailty ammo to group under 1/2" @ 50. but have no idea at 100....possibly 1 1/2".....but with fine tuning, these rifles will do amazing things. Ammo is the biggest other factor.....so try many brands until the rifle likes one better than the rest.....then expect groups to shrink. LTS

22boomer
    (1/2/02 7:34:49 am)
    Thanks for the information.
    I have another question.
    Any type of receiver that won't allow you to clean the bore from the chamber side bothers me and this 10/22 is one of them. I understand that I can have an access hole cut in the rear of the receiver to allow a cleaning rod to clean from the chamber end of the barrel. Is this the only way or is there another easy way to accomplish the cleaning process?

LIKTOSHOOT
    (1/2/02 8:02:33 am)
    I have thought many times of drilling the back of the receiver, but never did. While thinking...(I`m slow) I decided to try something. I took a standard three piece cleaning rod and coated it with that liquid grip stuff (for plyers and other tool handles) wa-la! no scratch, no worry about the crown. Regards LTS

Zigzag2
    (1/2/02 8:15:23 am)
    Hiya' Boomer and Welcome to The Firearms Forum.

cut a hole in the receiver? Now that's a new 1 on me...

You may appreciate the site below.
    junior.apk.net/~ontarget/10-22.html

Keep us up-to-date with your 10-22, I'm building 1 now

Edited by: Zigzag2 at: 1/2/02 8:30:01 am

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (1/2/02 8:51:03 am)
    I owned a 10/22 with the hammer forged barrel like you described. After lots of modifications this rifle would do 1/4" groups at 50 yds. The groups would open up to about 3/4" -1" at 100 yds. I use a Dewey teflon coated rod to clean the barrel taking care not to scratch the new crown. As LTS suggested, Power Custom makes an excellent trigger group. Glass bedding the action will also help. Good luck on your project.

Xracer
    (1/2/02 9:19:18 am)
    Welcome Boomer. Let us know how your new 10/22 works out for you. We're always open to new faces, and new ideas, here.

22boomer
    (1/2/02 9:20:56 am)
    Shooter45,
    Did you use a scope on the rifle you described or iron sights? If you used a scope, what brand and power, plus the type of scope rings used.

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (1/2/02 9:54:31 am)
    Boomer, I used a Tasco World Class TG 8X32X44 riflescope. I had rather had the 6X24X44, but my supplier was out of stock at the time. I can't remember what brand rings I used but they were high rings so the front objective would clear the barrel.

22boomer
    (1/2/02 10:25:32 am)
    Thanks to all of you for the information. I think I have enough information now to get "started" on this project rifle. I'll try to let you all know how things work out.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (1/3/02 12:01:31 am)
    ezSupporter
    Re: Accuracy question and buffer question.
    The "Otis" Coated Cable is the way to go, you
    can access the chamber from anywhere with
    it!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

Zigzag2
    (1/3/02 11:04:13 am)
    Good suggestion Tac, what do you think of drilling a hole in the receiver?
    "you can access the chamber from anywhere with
    it!"... reminds me of Long Dong Silver

22boomer
    (1/3/02 11:54:10 am)
    I hope I don't get flamed for this -- I drilled the hole in the rear of the receiver. It works great for the type of cleaning I'm accustomed to. The only problem might be if you want to glass your receiver in. I believe you can still pull a glassed receiver apart but I would imagine it's not good to do this very often. If you like cleaning with regular equipment it's real easy!