Accuracy?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by NGIB, May 5, 2011.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

We all see this all the time in many threads - "I want an accurate pistol".

I'll advance the statement that just about every pistol (from a mainstream maker) has adequate mechanical accuracy. If there aren't any functional problems, like machining defects, every pistol is as accurate as it's designed to be. No, a snub revolver probably wont shoot 1" groups at 50 yards - but is it really designed to do so?

Lots of newbies begin with something like the S&W Sigma, they're cheap and available, but are commonly maligned for being an "inaccurate gun". I've owned a few Sigma's and while they really have a crappy trigger, they are no less inherently accurate than any other gun in that general price range. They're labeled as inaccurate because they are difficult to shoot well - mainly due to the really bad trigger. I have a buddy that has shot thousands of rounds through his Sigma and as he's mastered the trigger, he can shoot it as well as I shoot a Sig or 1911.

My premise is that poor accuracy in 99% of the cases is the problem with the shooter and not the gun. Yes, some guns are very easy to shoot well, like a 1911, but with enough practice nearly any gun can deliver acceptable performance. I guess my advice is: don't blame the gun first...
  2. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I think the 1911 is already an accurate pistol most of the time and I like the fact that it can be tightened up further.

Another gun a lot of people say is extremely accurate straight out of the box is the HK USP.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Most accurate box stock pistol i ever laid hands on was a well used M9. That dadgum thing would wear out the bull on a 25 yd pistol target from the offhand position. and when benched would easily shoot a ragged 15 round hole at 25 yds.
  4. Ranger 61

Ranger 61 New Member

Its true that most guns are pretty accurate right out of the box. My experience with a Sigma in 40 S&W was the gun was very accurate but the trigger made shooting it well, difficult. But some guns that seem to be inaccurate sometimes just need the right ammo. I have a 4" Taurus 617 in 357 magnum. I tried feeding it target loads which it didn't like. Then I tried 357 magnum loads with 158 soft point bullets which always worked well in my smiths but they were a bust. Finally I tried some full house 125 hollow points, shot 7 rounds into a ragged hole at 25 yards. ;) Sometimes you just got to find what works.
  5. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

Oh but, the trigger is part of the gun, and no gun can be any better than the sum of its' parts. This is why just about any Glock becomes a more accurate gun when a 3.5 lb. trigger is installed. Never mind what any separate component "could" do, apart from the rest. You hold the sum of the parts in your hand, and range results are obtained from that sum.
    I think it's silly to blame a single component for poor performance, unless you intend to alter that component. Otherwise, that IS the gun, as it sits, and that's how the whole gun shoots. That's what the maker put their name on.
  6. Jesse17

Jesse17 Member

I don't think anyone is blaming the trigger, just pointing out that the gun itself (including the trigger) is accurate (eg. if you placed the gun in a vice and pulled the trigger, each round would hit the same relative spot) but you have to be accustom to shooting a gun with a stiff trigger and not pulling the gun off target when you pull the trigger.

I'm a firm believer that most guns are more accurate than me out of the box, but I can consistently shoot some guns better than others because they just work with my shooting style, better than others. Someone else can take a gun that I can't hit anything with and shoot 10s all day, but might not be able to hit squat with something that I can shot 10s with.