Accurate powder data

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by RockinRiley, Mar 5, 2012.

1. RockinRiley

RockinRiley New Member

So, here is the question:
    I have 124 gr rn berry's, they say to load to lead, but accurate has data for berry's. The 2 do not even compare, why?
    lead 124 from accurate:
    Nitro 100 NF 124 LC RN 2.3 838 2.8 939 34,235 1.050

berry's 124:
    Nitro 100 NF 124 BRY RN 2.9 839 3.5 950 33,846 1.160

Why do they put so much more powder and increase the overall length?
    I had a cow, as the dealer put my press together and I found the bullet seating depth was too low, but I inspected my cases and found no overpressure at all. I have since raised the bullet, maybe too much, (I had one that measured 1.170) we will see. I do find that Nitro 100 has alot of flash, I shoot indoors, so not a big deal, but was surprised!
    Currently my lee is set up at 3.1 or 3.2 respectively from my pro measure.

Which would you go with?
  2. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Go with the OAL that fits, feeds and fires in your pistol. Forget what the manuals say, find out what works in your pistol, then start low and work up. After all, if it doesn't fit, feed and fire, pressure don't mean sheet do it?
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I am going to take a wild guess and say that you are talking about 9mm even though you don't say that.

I see what you are talking about but I don't know why the difference in powder loads. May have something to do with Bullet Co-efficiency but I won't say that for sure, cause I just don't know. I have found that when I load lead bullets, I have to seat them a little deeper for them to function properly and that may be the difference in OAL, plus, Berry's RN bullets are a little bit more "pointy" than lead ones, usually. Pointy is not a good word but I can't think what the heck that is called right now.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Its a seating depth vs case capacity thing. The cast lead load lists less powder because the load data was developed with a deeper seated bullet, thus leaving less case capacity and requiring less powder to get the needed pressures.

Steve is spot on. Use the OAL that works best in your gun and develop a load from starting.
  5. RockinRiley

RockinRiley New Member

Thanks guys, I was concerned as the books always say that seating too low can cause overpressure situations.
  6. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

Riley it can. Be careful. Bullet type, seating depth/OAL, and powder type can all create excessive pressure and work together. Steve & JLA are correct, but please don't take what they said as meaning you shouldn't read and try to comprehend your loading manual. The manuals should only be listing safe formulas, and once you deviate from those you're in uncharted territory as far as YOU ARE CONCERNED so you must proceed with caution. I strongly urge you to read your manuals thoroughly so you have a better understanding of how all your components work together. Some things are simple and some are more complicated than they appear. We just can't cover all aspects in one question and one reply in a forum venue. Read as many manuals as you can as they all offer different info. Enjoy yourself but please do a better job of educating yourself. Good luck, A.L.
  7. armoredman

armoredman New Member

hang on, lemme clear this up.
    1)Berry's Manufacturing says load their plated bullets to low to mid JACKETED data, NOT lead bullet data. I have loaded a few thousand Berry's bullets, including a bunch of 9mm ones. :)
    2) Accurate Arms data for Berry's is good, use it, IF it's from the latest online manual. the older ones from one/two years ago are out, new testing showed new highs and lows, and 9mm data changed a LOT!
    3)Have fun! While you're at it, Berry's just released a 115 grain hollow base RN thick plate that can be driven higher velocities with ease, goooood stuff.
  8. RockinRiley

RockinRiley New Member

I have read and read, that is why I was concerned. I did inspect for over pressure and their were no indications, but the bullets were lower than the 1.160 that accurate showed, that is why I am writing this. I have raised my seating depth and need to run them to make sure they cycle, if not I may lower the powder. Thanks!
  9. RockinRiley

RockinRiley New Member

You are correct, sorry, I am not sure where I got the lead data from. I do see the bullet below it that says below 1200 though, so I was not totally wrong :)
    "Velocities depend on the caliber, but as a rule of thumb, we recommend you don't shoot our plated bullets over 1200 feet-per-second. Our 44's actually shoot best around 1150 fps. 45's are generally good at 850-900 fps. Our bullets are not recommended for magnum velocities."
  10. RockinRiley

RockinRiley New Member

Sorry, yes, definitely 9mm.
    :D
  11. armoredman

armoredman New Member

RockinRiley, get the 115 HBRN-TP, which stands for thick plate, and and you can shoot the Dickens out of them. :) With what you have, go for midpoint, and you will be fine. Watch for uneven starshaped holes, which means the plating is shredding off. That's the warning that you exceeded the margin. I'll bet you have to go pretty hot to get that in 9mm, as I haven't managed to do it yet. ;)
  12. RockinRiley

RockinRiley New Member

Uneven star shaped holes? in the brass? I would hope I would not make it that bad, otherwise, I am not sure what you mean, as I cannot inspect the bullet after shooting. Thanks!
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

On target RR. With plated bullets, if youre running them too fast the plating will strip and leave sqiud like tentacles hanging off the sides. which can be evident on target as star shaped bullet holes.

I personally have never crossed the speed boundary with plated projectiles as 99.9% of my handgunning is with light loads. Heck my .45ACP loads you can see the bullet leave the muzzle and hit the target. Its pretty neat actually.
  14. armoredman

armoredman New Member

I've done it with 7.62x39mm in my vz-58 - the rifling in that barrel just shreds 'em.

[​IMG]

The very same bullet in the CZ 527M is a champ.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]