Accurate reloads for Ruger 223 ranch rifle?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by smlake, Feb 13, 2010.

1. smlake

smlake New Member

About a year ago I purchased a new Ruger ranch rifle, usually called in mini 14, tactical model. I mounted a 1.5-5 power scope on this rifle. The barrel is 16 and 1/8 inch long and has a composite stock. While fun to shoot, it typically shoots only about 5" groups at 100 yards from a benchrest. Has anyone worked up an accurate recipes for this little rifle? Factory ammo and very accurate reloads I long ago worked up for my Sako Vixen do not seem to work well with this rifle. Can I expect better accuracy from this little defense/plinking rifle? I bought it primarily due to the Obama/ Democrat controlled Congress factor. Thanks in advance.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The few mini-14 rifles I have shot shot quite well with winchester white box. I do not own one but im sure through safe and proper reloading procedures you could certain squeeze the most out of it. read this...http://mikeswillowlake.com/ladder test.htm
    It will explain a very precise method to finding that sweet load for any rifle in very little time...

P.S. sorry about the goofy music, I didnt make the website:rolleyes:
  3. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Although a great little rifle to plink with I have not experienced a mini 14 that was capable of groups tighter that 3-4 inches. I believe this rifle has had several changes to its barrel twist rate over the years. I would start looking there for your appropriately matched bullet gr./twist ratio and then start using different powders and loads.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

very good advice 312, and something completely forgot to mention. The earlier ranch rifles had 1 in 14 twist bbls, only making them suitable for the lightest of projectiles, then they went to 1-12, currently i do not know if they are manufactured with the standard 1 in 9 like AR-15s are but im sure that info can be obtained on rugers website.
  5. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

If it was a true Ruger Tactical and not a home made job of an older model it has a 1-9 twist. http://www.ruger.com/products/mini14TacticalRifle/models.html

For a 1-9 twist bullets from 52gr up to 69gr should be fine. The 55gr is by far the most common. That said, I think you need to look at the rifle before you look at the ammo. The Mini has gone through a few changes over the years. Ruger has retooled their manufacturing and beefed up the barrel on the latest models. Although your 5 inch groups are well within Rugers accuracy specs of 3 inches at 50 yards, I think your mini could do better.

First the scope. What kind of scope and is it mounted properly? The Mini is notorious for beating up even the best of scopes. Not from recoil, but from the action and the ejecting brass. Scopes for the mini should be mounted turned 90* counter-clockwise. This puts the windage adjustment knob on top of the scope and out of the way of the ejecting brass. Check your windage knob for brass and signs of damage from ejecting brass. Then turn it counter-clockwise 90*.

Next the trigger. The trigger on the Mini is about the worst available. It has creep, over travel and about 7-12lbs of pull. Although a trigger job will not fix the rifle it will make you a better shooter. Send it off to Bill Springfield for the best Mini trigger job available.

Then the stock. The mini is no different than any other rifle were stock to barreled action is concerned. To get the most out of your Mini the stock should be bedded. It's simple to do yourself or you can have it done for you.

Last, the gas block. Ruger spits these rifles out as fast as they can. They mount the gas block wherever it lands all cockeyed and crooked then tighten the gas block screws to a couple million pounds of torque. Not at all good for accuracy. It's a simple fix. Remove the gas block screws with a good quality Allen wrench. These screws are staked so it best to work them back and forth until the stake is broken. Then align the gas block nice and even and set the gaps between the two halves equal with a feeler gauge. Then tighten the screws to just about 36 inch pounds. That's "inch" pounds.

All these tips and more can be found over at the Perfect Union. Follow this link and these guys will get your mini back on target.

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=86

6. smlake

smlake New Member

I enormously appreciate you guys' input regarding the accuracy problem of my mini. I do have the "real McCoy" from Ruger-a NIB tactical model. I have been reading many of the links provided here. I am constantly surprised by the extensive amount of knowledge about firearms on the internet, that does not involve the manufacturers. The internet sites provide such a wonderful method to spread this enormous amount of knowledge around the world. Again, I thank each of you for taking the time and making the effort to help me, a perfect stranger, solve the problem.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member