Accurizing the 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by lonewolf204, May 13, 2011.

1. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

I'm very interested in your article too. I'd like to tune my norc and tweek it even more. Right now it functions like a race 1911, well almost, its at the starting point of a race gun. Its way better than a stock 1911. I'm interested in lowering the ejection port and flaring it too once my frame rails are tightened up. Not all the 1911 info is exactly the same too. One may have one little bit more of info over the others thats why i purchased the 1911 shop manual and all the video's.

I know that some will disagree about using the FLGR kit. I've owned and shot the 1911's since the mid 70's. I'm not a 1911 guru but i can see and feel the difference with the FLGR kit and without the FLGR kit. Its a tad heavier with it but the plus's out weigh the negatives for sure. Bill
  2. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Active Member

BigBill, I don't think that there's anyone with to much knowledge on any one subject. I have bought the 4 video set from wilson combat, the book JK , another book or two, and I still have gained alot of info that works well from the nice folks here. Thanks for you post and keepem coming. ;)
  3. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

My story is i purchased three brand new non functioning, jamming 1911's one in the 70's, again in the 80's and another one in the 90's. I was so upset I got rid of the first two they were new colts. My third one is a 1990 springfield armory 1911a1 in purdy black park. It jammed 1rd per mag so it sat in the safe until this past year when i finally got into the video's and how to fix them. I found the extractor needed to be tentioned but they call it tuning. I tuned it and just shot it lastweek and no jams and she function the way she looks now. Its a series 90 from SA and the serial number starts off with NMXXXX. It has the larger sights and the frame to slide fit is very tight. I have other gun to shoot so it didn't bother me by sitting in the safe growing roots since 1990. Wow the 22 years flew by. I got so old so fast...thats another story. I did rework my norc first and it built up my knowledge and confidence to look at the new 90's SA i had for all these years. I refused to part with my really purdy SA in black park for all these many years.

I do have a print i made on how to fit the national match barrel bushing to the barrel for a 100% loc up yet it can hinge freely to eject and load the next round with no barrel spring at all.

I don't plan on ever being a 1911 guru or a complete gunsmith but i'm learning how to repair and tune them. I don't trust anyone doing my work at all not even on my car at onetime too. I'm tired of paying and not getting what i paid for in the past. I started fixing anything and everything myself for many years now.

Before this 1911 work i changed out the sewer pipe barrel on my german 98k 8mm mauser i paid $20 for. I got a czech 98 8mm mauser barrel and unscrewed the shot out barrel and installed the czech barrel. It was used but in new/excellent condition from e-gun parts for $37 at the time. I purchased the go, the no-go and the field 8mm headspace gauges too so i could check it when i got the barrel in it. It headspaced perfectly on the go guage(bolt closed) and the bolt wouldn't close with the no-go gauge. The he4adspace is perfect just like a new rifle. I refinished the german stock and put 10 coats of tung oil on her and mounted a 3 post military scope on it. For under $150 i have a hunting rifle with the orginal military look. Built by me. The rifle was parts and scrap when i got it.

I finally thought being a class A machine builder how hard can it be to work on guns. I even assembled parts and sub units for the 155mm howitzers for the US army there using in the sand box right now too. I did it all but assemble the gun and barrel. I worked for condiesel in waterbury,ct. They our parts and sub units went down to watervielt arsenal were the guns were assembled.

This is weird and funny. When i was building machines i got to rebuild machines from watervielt arsenal. I had no clue as to what they were machining at the time but they looked like breech boxes and the muzzle caps. When i went to work at condiesel I realized what the parts were for when i seen them in the pics.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  4. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

Sorry for the bad pics my new puter just doesn't like the old kodak program. Thats my 90's SA and the 155mm howitzers i worked on for the US army. Bill
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  5. Casey

Casey New Member

Must be easy to go to work when your working on something really cool like that howitzer!! Some guys get all the dream jobs!
  6. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

I took the pic during the open house and i wanted to get a 155mm howitzer for my front lawn ornament plus i could fire it and hit anything within 30 miles. What a weapon. Bill