1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Accurizing!??

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Brob73, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Brob73

Brob73 New Member

I bought a Colt 1991A1 a while back for about $600 new. I put quite a few more dollars into it after i got it. Hard chromed slide, all wilson combat internals and external accessories and a few more things.

I have 2 questions:

someone told me I should get it accurized & ported? Can anyone tell me what all this entails..and is it worth it? (and I know there's not many series 80 fans):D

Also, If I decided to sell this gun as is. What do you think a fair price would be? (I know this ?? should be posted in another section, but I'm lazy!);)

Any info is appreciated!

[​IMG]
  2. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

in test you said pics, but I found just pic. :D :D :D :D
    that is one beautiful pistola
  3. SF Mike

SF Mike New Member

I have a souvenier .45 from Vietnam. I smoothed the trigger some.

I can consistantly hit a man size target at 100 yds. Both hands, standing up.

Sometimes I wonder about all the expensive mods you can pile on these things. I think the shooter is the most important accessory.
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Accurizing a 1991 Colt is worthwhile. Have your favorite pistolsmith fit the barrel and bushing, do a trigger job and install some decent sights.

Porting ......maybe you should think this one through. While porting will keep the barrel down during recoil, the noise is LOUD. And the flash is bright in low light.
  5. stash247

stash247 New Member

I think, in a 1911, Brob is saying ported, and thinking comp.
    Sprringfield is the only one I know selling, or used to sell a 3 1/2 inch,
    'V-10', IIRC, with a (Mag Na) ported barrel, and slide.
    The basic reason for accurizing is to reduce group size, usually for target shooting, not to 'hot rod' the pistol with heavy loads.
    The .45acp is no big horsepower, hard recoiling load, in a gun as small as the old Detonics 'Combat Master', and a pussycat in a 5" gun!
    And, porting will often to nearly always 'strip' metal from the bullet, as it passes over th port in the barrel, undoing much of the accuracy the other work added, by unbalancing the bullet, rotationally.
    Find a range with a solid bench or two, and fire a few targets, for group size, at 25 and 50 yds; "wnist rest" your two hands over a sandbag, and do not let the pistol contact the bag in any way. Fire the first round in the mag into the dirt of the berm, then 5 for group. (The first is often 'out of the group', due to the difference in the way it was loaded into the chamber, compared to the rest)
    If that range, or a local gunsmith, has a Ransom Rest, you may try to borrow it, and fire a few groups that way, as well.
    The 'wrist rested' groups will often be the tighter, of the two, assuming, since you are shootong for group size, not score, you use a constant, identical, point of aim.
    If the pistol will shoot 2", off the bags, at 25, I'd spend my money on ammo, not parts, and some practice tme, with a sight change being the only exception, to center the group, on the bull.
    I suspect it will.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2007