ACLU

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by OBrien, Jun 5, 2009.

1. OBrien

OBrien New Member

Does anyone know what the aclu's position on the second amendment is? I tried looking on their sight but got confused. Are they pro-gun? I would imagine they would be where it is one of our rights and last I knew they were all about protecting them.
  2. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    All i now about aclu, is that's who some people call around here when the have a beef with the law.
  3. OBrien

OBrien New Member

They can be a huge pain in the rear. I think they would be a huge help.
  4. kutaho

kutaho New Member

They have there pro's and cons.
    problem is there easily manipulated.
    you know 'chip on your shoulder' kind of thing.
  5. artabr

artabr New Member

The Second Amendment is the Amendment that the ACLU loves to hate.

The link below is from their blog.

http://blog.aclu.org/2008/07/01/heller-decision-and-the-second-amendment/

Heller Decision and the Second Amendment

So, we’ve been getting a lot of comments about the ACLU’s stance on the Second Amendment. For those of you who didn’t catch our response in the blog comments, here it is again:

The ACLU interprets the Second Amendment as a collective right. Therefore, we disagree with the Supreme Court’s decision in D.C. v. Heller. While the decision is a significant and historic reinterpretation of the right to keep and bear arms, the decision leaves many important questions unanswered that will have to be resolved in future litigation, including what regulations are permissible, and which weapons are embraced by the Second Amendment right that the Court has now recognized.
    As always, we welcome your comments.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The comments to the above post in the link are pretty good and worth reading.

It's funny how all of the Amendments are about individual rights except the Second Amendment. :rolleyes: :mad:

Art
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  6. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

"Collective right"? I was always taught that the Bill of Rights spells out INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS. And going further, the Founding Fathers believed that those rights were NATURAL RIGHTS that were given to us by God and not by government. They put the Bill of Rights in the Constitution to ensure that the gov't could not take rights we already had from our creator, it's purpose was not for the gov't to give us those rights.

The ACLU seems to be liberal to me. Sometimes they do some good, but not too often. Most of the time they help "downtrodden and less fortunate minorites" file idiotic discrimination law suits because someone didn't respect someone else's feelings or diversity:rolleyes:
  7. OBrien

OBrien New Member

Can we be a minority?
  8. kutaho

kutaho New Member

+1 separation of church and state. The target isn't the 'church per sa' in this edict, but also includes the natural laws of all human beings. if it will help them to further there cause.

In most cases i agree, thing is here you can count the minority families on one hand. but then again there not because they all have there american citizenship.
  9. kutaho

kutaho New Member

in regards to religion/culture/ancestral homeland/or shade?
    or all of the above?
    I forgot to add philosophy.
  10. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

I've felt like a minority ever since I heard the "benediction" given at Barry's "inauguration."
  11. OBrien

OBrien New Member

I would say religion because we believe in the constitution and being allowed to keep our rights. Sounds like a minority now a days.
  12. sakeneko

sakeneko New Member

13. kutaho

kutaho New Member

I respect your beliefs,
    I follow the red road, my beliefs in the constitution, and the personnel rights of all human beings is what i have been taught to hold sacred.
    I've always felt like a minority.
  14. artabr

artabr New Member

It's good to see that at least one segment of the ACLU understands the Second Amendment.
    One would hope that most of it's members would concur with this view, but from my observations this is wishful thinking.

Art
  15. sakeneko

sakeneko New Member

I'm not an ACLU member myself. (They support abortion on demand as a right.) :/ But I've been involved in human rights activism most of my adult life, so I know a lot of people who are members. In my experience, depending on where in the country you are, attitudes among ACLU members towards gun ownership vary widely. My husband and I moved to Nevada last fall. Reno is less than 200 miles from the San Francisco Bay area, where I lived for almost 20 years, but I've seen national borders with a *much* less noticeable cultural divide. I doubt the Nevada ACLU would have any members if they refused to support second amendment rights. ;-)