ACLU

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by OBrien, Jun 5, 2009.

1. alhefner

alhefner New Member

+1!! All ten of those amendments are vital and all have equal weight. We need an organization that devotes itself to the defense of all those rights without just picking the ones that fit an agenda. Any agenda.
  2. sakeneko

sakeneko New Member

I agree 100%, alhefner. Even better, so does my husband. Even better, we both live in Reno too. If you want to start a local organization to do just that, pm me. Seriously. I'm new to the use of guns to protect freedom, and rather hope to keep that side of things theoretical, if you get my drift. But I'm an old hand at using the first amendment rights of freedom of speech and assembly to defend my rights and those of others. I'd *love* to see an organization out there that focused strictly on this and did not drag other, unrelated issues into the mix. :)
  3. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

I agree that all 10 amendments ar eof equal importance. But when the feds take one away, the others will soon follow. And they have chosen the 2nd. Once it goes, they hope to make all of us dependent on the gov't for our self protection. They'll probably kill the 4th at the same time they kill the 2nd, that way they won't need to waste time getting a warrant to search your home and make sure you turned in all of your guns. Once those two are gone, look for the 1st to go. The feds really hate the 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th more than any of the others:rolleyes:
  4. sakeneko

sakeneko New Member

Actually, I'm seeing at least as many credible threats to the First Amendment as to the Second nowadays. There are plenty of threats to the latter, but the political winds/trends are currently in the other direction. How many states have moved from "may issue" to "shall issue" in the past fifteen or twenty years? I'll add Heller and that recent decision by (of *all* things) the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals which incorporated Heller against the states. With the recent Second Circuit Court of Appeals ruling directly contradicting that one, it's headed for the Supreme Court, which *already* gave us Heller.

This is no time to get lazy on Second Amendment rights, but it's looking good and I'm feeling a lot better about it than I have for many years.

Meanwhile, how many states have passed or are considering "hate crimes" laws? I don't like the KKK or American Nazis any better than any other decent person does, but in this country the government does *NOT* have the authority to punish anybody for holding and expressing an opinion, no matter how disgusting that opinion may be to most of us. Worse, there's a general attitude out there that limits on freedom of speech can constitute a human right (just look at the Canadian "Human Rights Commission"), which is the craziest bunch of screwed up thinking I've encountered in a long time.

I won't get into threats to the Fourth Amendment (some provisions of the Patriot Act, warrantless wiretapping, etc.) and others. IMHO a good many of the rights recognized in the Bill of Rights protect the other rights. We really can't afford to do without any of them. Looking back, I can't think of a time when fashionable (and usually sloppy) thinking didn't result in one or more of them being devalued or even put under direct attack.