acog scope for hunting?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alex.cirabisi, Nov 19, 2011.

1. alex.cirabisi

alex.cirabisi New Member

i was just looking at these, i like them because they are fixed lower power scopes, and small, compact. but looking at the ones that are over 33mm ( trijicon ) all say machinegun acogs. I dont wanna blow $1500 and put it on a .243 or 30-06.
  2. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

In my opinion, you could get a much more useful scope for 1.5k.
    In my opinion, you could get a much more useful scope for less than 1/2 that price.
  3. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I luv acogs on ARs which are my go to guns for riding 4 wheelers & snowmachines, use a 2 point sling and your ready to shoot before you stop. This fall, wife, kids, and I got 3 moose and a bunch of caribou with 338 fed AR-10 3.5x35 red dot/horse shoe and 6.8 stag carbine 4X32 red dot/horse shoe. Cabelas lists those acogs for 1299, I get them from local gun shop for 1050. I hunt with ARs due to short barrels so I can clear trees on trails. We started chasing wolves years ago on snowmachine, found AR's to be the ticket. You won't find a quicker acquisition scope than a ghost ring red dot acog. My acogs, the horseshoe covers 8 inches at 100 yards. No problem hitting targets out to 500 yards with a little practice. I've killed caribou out to 550 yards with acogs. I wouldn't put one on my 30-378 weatherby, but I am more satisfied with acogs than all my leupolds put together also. With acogs, it's pull up bang in one motion for me and I like it. Check one out at a store before you make decision. Everybody that uses mine, really are impressed.

[​IMG]
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

5. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Great looking guns and great looking mounts.
  6. alex.cirabisi

alex.cirabisi New Member

thats pretty much what i was looking for. thanks for all the suggestions, and them AR's are pretty sweet looking. i might have to get one some day. did you say you had a .338 ar? i thought they only came in .223 and 7.62 and smaller. . i think 7.62 is right.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  7. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I'd probably try that Bushnell for the price it can't be beat; I might look at one myself to put on a few other 556 ARs that never come out of the vault anymore. I've just gotten use to the horse shoe acogs and they work for me. They are very bright in the sunshine and very low after dark, but you can see dot. Personally, I don't like most acog reticles other than ghost rings & dots. My nephew is a PJ in AF guard, came up hunting and brought his acogs from his issued carbine and I didn't really like the reticles he had, but he also had a night vision & laser I'm not even permitted by law to purchase, even if I could afford it, ha ha. Two things I like about my acogs are it is perfect right before dark, that dusk period when you can't see cross hairs on normal scope and for quick shooting, (the horse shoe allows me the confidence to get on target faster at least it seems that way to me; makes me luckier). Acogs are bullet proof, good glass, and you don't even think about turning them on and off, but they need recharged every 10 years or so.

Last few years, 90% of the time, we use ARs rather than bolt guns. WE are just subsistence meat hunters, filling the tags & freezers so most shots are under 400 yards, the ARs work fine. I still have a special place for my Weatherbys but I shoot the ARs way more of late. We have six 556's in mini-14 & AR-15. We used them for years but then when they came out with the 6.8 spc, never used 556's anymore. 6.8 hits like a 308 with a 110 grain bullet; good deer & predator gun. We also killed several bear out of our stand last june with the 6.8; they run 20 yards and collapsed. Indians down Ft Yukon got a polar bear with 556 couple years back, but I'd hesitate on grizz with 6.8 spc. My 6.8 stag is light as a feather.

DPMS & Armalite both make a 338 fed in AR-10. Mine has 21 inch barrel, but now they make an 18 inch one I believe. The 338 doesn't have the knockdown of 338 mag, but it dropped 3 moose for us this year, two of them dropped on the spot and third one did a 3 step side shuffle and hit the ground. When I hit caribou with 30-378, it actually drives them backwards, knocks them right off their feet. The 338 fed, they just fall over. My Armalite was listed around 1900, I got it for 1600 from local gun shop and completely satisfied. The AR-10 is alot heavier than my stag.

IF you are considering an AR, get a cheap 6.8 carbine (AR-15, around 700 bucks) as when you go to 308, mostly in AR-10. I wouldn't get a 556 nowadays with all the new calibers coming out for deer hunting. It sure is nice to have that 10 round clip.

Just my opinion and everybody has one I guess, ha ha.
  8. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Is good as a acog id for its design purpose It is limited buy it power. Most any desent veriable power scope in the 2.5-10, 3 -12 or 4 to 14 range will let you pick shots thru brush and still give good clear up close shots. A variable just offers a clearer view of what your shooting at.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  9. alex.cirabisi

alex.cirabisi New Member

what do you mean horse shoe acog? any chance ya could link me to a site with this 6.8 carbine thats around $700?
  10. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I'll post acog site on monday. Stags are down in price I think. Gun shop that treats me the best is local and he told me 800 for stag. I've seen several on AK list for 700. You need to develop a relationship with local gun shop to buy from, then you'll get a decent deal.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yep. Find a shop and make friends with the proprietor. Then patronize the hell out of them. Make it a point to buy from them even if you have to drive past walmart to go get it from them when wlamart has it for a few bucks less. They notice that, and dont drop by just to chat. I drop in the shop 2 or 3 times a week to check on gun repairs, Usually end up staying 2 or 3 hours just BS'n, but I buy something every time. Its usually another pound of powder or a box of primers, or a brick of .22 ammo. but thats the difference it takes to make a difference. The proprietor will notice your loyalty and you will be one of the very few that gets next to free transfers and guns at just over cost plus tax.
  12. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

JLA is right on the money concerning local gun shops. I try and buy 2-3-4 guns a year from this local guy, all my scopes, and as much as he has that I need. My second acog, my guy gave me a price of $1040, another gun shop in Fairbanks quoted me $1250 (and I had bought a few guns from him too). cabelas was like $1299, and trij site was $1430. You got to look around, there's always a gun shop that does good deals (usually they are out in out of the way places) and gets most the local business. Once you find that good shop, then take care of the guy. We plant 400 lb seed tatoes every spring, give away over 3000 lb to friends, Indians, relatives, and I always take a 100 lb or so down to my gun shop guy, ha ha.

Ya know, I'd check out that bushnell for the price. Here's trij site and then also horseshoe. Remember at 100 yards, the horseshoe is 8 inches, though it looks quite small when you look through scope at something 10 feet away. Also if ya order one, they tell ya 8 week wait, but they always show up in 3-4 weeks. Trijicon will send ya a nice catalog if ya call them. I'm about as happy with my acog scopes as a hunter can be and I have never had any problems hitting targets out to 500 yards or so though I thought it would be impossible at first.

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/index.php

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TA31H-68

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TA11H-308