ACT 8rd 1911 Magazines

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by sixguncowboy, Jan 14, 2010.

1. sixguncowboy

sixguncowboy New Member

Back in Oct. I purchased a RIA 1911 & it came with a Novak 8 rd magazine. When I got it home I just put it in the safe for a couple weeks. I got it out to clean it before taking it to the range. I saw what I at first thought was a scratch on the polymer floor plate. Upon closer examination I discovered that the floor plate was cracked all the way through.

I contacted Novak about a replacement floor plate and was told that Armscor didn't get their mags from them so I would have to contact Armscor. To their credit Armscor didn't replace the floor plate but did send a brand new replacement magazine. However, I now have a perfectly good brand new magazine with a cracked base plate. A short time later I ascertained that Novak magazines are made in Italy by ACT Magazines. They also manufacture OEM mags for Taurus, Beretta, Sig Sauer,Kimber, Paraordinance, & Metro Arms.

I contacted ACT about purchasing two floor plates (1 to replace the broken one & one for a spare) and waited two weeks & emailed them again. They forwarded that 2nd email to their US distributor, Precision Sales Int. Someone from that company phoned me on Dec. 14th and said they were sending me two floor plates. It has been 28 days since that phone contact and I still do not have the floor plates that I was willing to buy. I have sent them emails twice since then. They do not reply to emails. I've tried to be patient & give them the benefit of the doubt. Some companies shut down for inventory over the Christmas holiday. + they may be getting ready for the Shot Show. But I feel they've had more than enough time to drop two little base pads in a bubble pack envelope, stick a couple stamps on it & drop it in a mailbox on the way to lunch or home from work.

They may make a great product. I don't know. I've had very little experience with their magazines. But their customer service is definately lacking. Poor customer service will eventually kill any business over time.

One thing I did learn from the PSI rep during the phone conversation is that the polymer floor plates tend to get dried out over time and are subject to cracking if dropped on a hard surface. About once a year they should be removed from the magazine & placed in near boiling water for an hour and a half.

Caveat Emptor.
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Throw those junk mags away and buy a few Wilson Combat mags. Most 1911 problems are MAG RELATED.
  3. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

#1 on that.
  4. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I think that it might apply to my Sig P220 mags that I got from the Pro-shop. Crap.
  5. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

Buy the Kimber mags they come with spare parts.
  6. sixguncowboy

sixguncowboy New Member

Well the magazine floor plates arrived in the mail today. I couldn't believe it as I actually had given up hope of ever getting them, after 2 1/2 months.
  7. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

I havn't had any problems with my Kimber mags. But I've been unable to shoot it in the past month, so I don't know if something may have happened.
  8. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I personally don't care much for those kind with the bumper pads. BUT... I bought two extra Kimber 8-round mags at Gander Mountain. Gander Mountain also sells Kimber ones with the bumper pads.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  9. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My first 1911 was an RIA. The mag that came with it lasted about 200 rounds before the floor plate broke and blew out. Frankly, I was never impressed with my RIA as it had many feeding problems. Many here really like them thopugh, so I may haver gotten one of those "Made on Monday" guns.
  10. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

ACT magazines are not junk. I replaced all my McCormick Shooting Star 8 rounders for my full sized Government and my Kimber with ACT mags ordered from Fusion.

I also use them in my carry 1991A1 Compact Colt below. They are top quality and function flawlessly in all my 1911's. All mine have metal followers.

[​IMG]
  11. Popeye

Popeye New Member

Yup!
  12. LittleBearGuns

LittleBearGuns New Member

I just got My AC 1911 and the mags are good, maybe it was just one of those Mondays at the factory. Anyone else have anything to say about these, I would like to know because I sell alot of these Handguns at my shop and no one has brought them back or complained about them so far. I would like to post on my web site any problems with all firearms so the customer knows what is going on with certain products. LB
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  13. Brian48

Brian48 New Member

My new SW1911 came with two ACT mags. From what I can tell, these are very high quality mags.