actually found once fired 7.62x39 brass. primer question.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by The Count, Aug 13, 2010.

1. The Count

The Count New Member

AK brass is really hard to come by, even if you are willing to pay for the new stuff. so i considered myself really lucky when i saw (supposedly) once fired 7.62x39 brass for only $17 per hundred. just to make sure i emailed the company to confirm that these were boxer primed and they said yes.

after reading some posts it appears as this brass can come with EITHER large or small primer pockets. is this true? then i heard you should use a primer uniforming tool or something like that. did not think that it was getting so involved. appreciate if someone could clarify...
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yes the 7.62X39 and the 6.8 SPC use both large and small rifle primers depending on the MFGR of the case. I believe remington uses the Large pocket for both and everyone else uses the small. I dont know why exactly, but among benchrest circles the small rifle primer even in cases as big as the .308 yield better consistency (yes they do make .308 palma cases with a small primer pocket)
  3. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Remington used the SR primer for the 7.62x39 and all other manufactures use the LR. Remington has since switched to the LR as well. I buy my x39 brass new and unfired for $22.50/100 at my local shop. He has a ton of the stuff, Lapua brass headstamped K&P.
  4. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Many long range shooters use a primer uniforming tool to get better consistency. Unless the rifle is being used for competition, I wouldn't worry about it.

EDIT: I should clarify... It is actually a Flash Hole Uniformer Tool.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

cheers for the link and idea eh !!!
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

There is a flash-hole uniformer, but there is also a primer pocket uniformer.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=445053

This tool has a carbide cutter on the face of it, and insures that the bottom of the pocket is flat and uniform. This prevents any lopsided primers. What I bought one for was a batch of brass that had the pockets slightly too short. Chucked that sucker into my cordless drill and deepened 'em all a couple of thousands. Now the primers seat below flush, like they oughta.
  7. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

That is what I first searched for but didn't get any results; so I figured I dreamed it... There goes my billion dollar idea! :p