Add that to my platform...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladimir, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I decided on something that needs to be added to my platform for when I run for office. Why the H*LL don't we have state-sponsored ranges? I was pissed to find out this morning, after not shooting in forever and getting all excited that my membership expired early this month. So it will be another good month before I even get a chance to shoot (no way am I paying that fairly outrageous $17 fee for a one-time shoot- and not renewing my membership since I will be moving in a few months when I graduate).

We have parks and ****, even schools. Last time I read the Bill of Rights I didn't see anything about rights to play on a freaking slide or even get a government-sponsored education! I did recall seeing something about the right to keep and bear arms... And obviously defunct if we don't have the right to use them. If states and cities want to build and legislate shooting in the woods out of the realm of possibility, they need to provide an alternative!

The liberals should be able to jump on board too because of the added safety elements etc. The only issue I see is liability, and the government has gotten around much trickier crap than that before.
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Down in La we have various ranges set up by the wildlife and fisheries. Some charge a 5.00 fee and are manned and some are free.
  3. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

In SC our Department of Natural Resources has free ranges set up throughout the state. They figure you probably need to know how to shoot that rifle before you climb up in a tree stand to bag a deer. It's a good idea... :)
  4. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Well my opinion of Washington gun laws just dropped ever so slightly. Unless there are secret ranges I don't know about, Pops?
  5. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Alabama also
  6. kingnothingugm

kingnothingugm Member

If things don't change soon I fear the people will open firing ranges on the grounds of their capitol buildings.
  7. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Run for office? How about living life and working in the real world for a while before running for political office?

mike
    gn
  8. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

You have to be an SC resident to use them? I tried to shoot at the local outdoor police range last weekend, but couldn't because my ammo stuck to a magnet:mad: I was trying to shoot soem Wolf Military Classic 124gr 7.62x39 JHP that I was told was lead core:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
  9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Georgia has some free ranges, also. Too far away from where I live.
  10. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I wasn't planning on doing it tomorrow ;).

Though I hate the "real life" argument. I have worked since I turned 16 and can appreciate the fact that I have never had to be entirely self-reliant, but I have experience having to pay my bills and whatnot :rolleyes:. I understand the experience aspect but its not like I am going to step out "into the world" (bad way of putting it anyway) and get a big shock. Despite what anyone says. The only difference is I will have more money and more[/] bills to pay. There will probably be a short interplay without insurance or whatever but probably not even since my dad can keep me on until I'm 25 as long as I have a college class going (which I will for Russian :rolleyes:).

/end rant :D

EDIT: I've worked everything out there too so that won't be a shocker either from "fancy" office work (of course it didn't pay fancy :() to loading trucks to driving a tractor to **** I have mentioned before but won't because I am about to eat dinner (from when I did the temp jobs) :eek:.

EDIT II: That's not to imply I'm so arrogant pr*ck who thinks life is going to be candy canes and cupcakes. Ya'll deserve respect for having more experience... but the idea that as a college student I haven't lived in the "real world" irks me ;). I'm not saying it's always an unfair statement, I have friends who still have had everything paid for them in life (including every accident and 6 some odd traffic tickets, two cars yadda yadda yadda) and spend their days smoking pot, living at home, and "experimenting" with the whole school thing. They will get a big shock, assuming they ever get the boot of course. There are a few bills I don't have to take care of, but I'm also unemployed (due in part to school schedule and part economy) and spend time each month trying to figure out how each bill is going to get paid.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  11. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I've been to only one of them in Union and no one checked anything. Drive up and shoot... :confused:

These are US Forest Service ranges.

These are SCDNR ranges. Spartanburg would be your best bet. I wonder if there are NC ranges operating on the same principle. I really bet there are.

12. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Vlad, the range / club I belong to is owned by the city and operated by the club. Other than that, we have a lot of open range here where shooting is allowed.

I agree that the DFW should set up some official ranges around, to take the pressure off of you city folk. The problem I see is that that would raise pressure to disallow shooting on the open land that is available now.

Pops
  13. noslolo

noslolo New Member

Dang, even in The Peoples Republic of Maryland they have free ranges..... You just have to drive to BFE to get to them.
  14. Marlin T

Marlin T Well-Known Member

You are going to run as an (I) right?
  15. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

We'll see where we are at in several years when it's time :D.